Chapter 15: Handkerchief

This chapter is brought to you by Way Back Home by SHAUN. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze 

---

Neo started his morning by being dragged out of bed by Rainier. The valet had good reasons for this.

He had found the youth buried beneath a nest of bed sheets and pillows and was deeply concerned. He dug him out quickly.

It was a lovely way to start the morning.

Rainier washed his face with a wet cloth, gently wiping away any remnants of debris. Then he brought over a water bucket for Neo to brush his teeth.

The master and servant exchanged no words throughout the morning routine. It was a quiet morning for both of them. One of those days where silence was preferred in such early hours.

Soon, Neo donned his uniform and Rainier carefully buttoned his shirt and adjusted his tie and waistcoat.

Once his shoes were on, the two of them left the room.

Neo was greeted with the sight of Aurelion sitting alone at the breakfast table with some impressive dark circles under his eyes.

His complexion was even paler than his own. He appeared somewhat disheveled—with his tie strangely crooked and his hair haphazardly brushed.

The servant behind him wore a tight smile on her face. She did a once-over of Neo and shot Rainier a piercing gaze, which Rainier made a point to ignore with a charming smile.

Neo dropped himself on a seat across from his brother.

The two of them tiredly stared at their empty plates. They both grabbed a cup and simultaneously took a long sip of air.

The female servant and Rainier's reactions were immediate. They began filling the plates with food, casually taking the brothers' cups and filling them generously with coffee.

The brothers took another sip.

Aurelion's brows scrunched together with distaste. He set his drink aside.

Rainier piled on more food for Neo, 'watching' as the food disappeared rapidly into the youth's stomach.

The servants waiting by the walls gawked in amazement. Servant rotations for the dining hall would change every three weeks. For this new batch of servants, it was their first time bearing witness to the Eldest Young Master's newfound appetite.

Neo eventually grew more alert as time passed. His eating pace slowed considerably. He ate without tasting anything, his mind preoccupied with his nightmares.

They came with a vengeance last night, in a way he hadn't experienced since his first night back—and there were no effective drugs within reaching distance to knock him out.

There was an option of Nightshade Petals inside his drawers—and he had, at one point, considered swallowing one when the clock struck three—but the chances of him falling into a permanent coma were rather high...

He was quite tired, waking up so early after a night with little sleep.

Rainier poured him another cup of coffee.

"Is Mother and Father joining us?" The dining hall felt empty with just him and Aurelion.

"They left at sunrise. There's a meeting in the palace," Aurelion remarked, stirring in a large amount of sugar and cream into his morning tea—his coffee forgotten, pushed aside in favor of something better.

"Oh."

They continued eating quietly.

"Good morning, everyone." A cold voice broke the silence.