Chapter 10: Lackeys

This chapter is brought to you by Friend by BTOB. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

Neo watched as Tybalt discreetly looked him up and down, his eyes narrowing like a sly and clever cat.

This was typical for him, who was so observant and cunning. He was a fun bastard, scheming and unapologetically devious behind his smiling facade.

Truly, an exemplary example of a person built for Noble Society—doing whatever it took to survive. Even if it meant entering the viper's pit.

Nazareth had been the serpent in the trenches... And Tybalt simply descended into hell for his own goals.

Giving a low whistle after taking in his new appearance, Tybalt drew his lips into a crooked grin and unashamedly spoke without any sense of propriety.

"Not a bad look, Naza. I didn't think you would ever cut your hair. You just made me lose three silvers."

He approached him with a curious gaze and tugged the half-tail without asking for permission, his gesture neither rough nor gentle.

Neo tried not to flinch at the casual touch. The other boy wasn't one for personal space and often got touchy-feely with those around him. Even back then, despite Nazareth's reputation of being a scummy troublemaker, the other boy didn't fear him for his wicked deeds.

Or if he did, he hid it well.

The friendly deposition in Tybalt's posture was clear in the way he held himself.

His lack of manners was purposeful—a way to let other people's guard down.

What threat would a lowly maid's son be to the son of a duke? Bastard or not.

It was all in the name of self-preservation. Tybalt was wickedly smart. He knew how to present himself in front of him without being seen as a threat, eventually managing his way into the inner circle of Nazareth's protection.

He placed himself in the very center, becoming almost invaluable.

This person had gained his trust once. It wasn't surprising when he betrayed him, but the ease in which he managed to retain a bit of that loneliness from his past self and fill it with his own presence was telling of Nazareth's own desires.

Nazareth wasn't built for solitude. In both lifetimes, he craved companionship. Tybalt and the others were the closest he had to friends, but he didn't consider them as such.

They were his lackeys—glorified retainers who were treated only slightly better than the average servant.

He had no friends, regardless of what anyone thought.

He had followers and those who were willing to ally themselves to him.

But friendship? He had foolishly given away those chances for his own selfish cause.

Neo had trusted Tybalt.

He still trusted him despite the past.

As treacherous as Tybalt was, it was no fault of his own for wanting to survive.

That was what they were all doing.

Surviving.

Neo allowed Tybalt to tug at his hair for a moment longer before breaking away from his grip.

His face instinctively became expressionless, similar to the rest of his family. It all came naturally to him, like a second skin. His eyes narrowed into glacial chips while his lips straightened into a thin line.