Chapter 46: Odum Siblings

This chapter is brought to you by Suzume by RADWIMPS and Toaka. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

According to the official records that were written down during the premise of the Lesser Krieg War, specifically between the five years leading up to it, Auria Gwyneth Odum died twenty years ago on her journey back from the Polska Nation—where she spent two years working as a student diplomat representing the Rhine Empire.

How did her supposed death come about? Nobody knew the answer to it. Her carriage was attacked and then, like a spark, the war began.

The rest, as they say, was history.

---

In the late evening, the Northern Wing of the Odum Manor was filled with the sound of the heart-monitoring talismans pulsing steadily.

The first child of the Odum Family slept.

The dim glow of the lifestrand between the Duke of Odum and his firstborn shone with every breath they took.

Surrounding them were healing runes, drawn into the ground, protecting the child's body as he remained in stasis.

He was unchanging as he slept, oblivious to those who stood around his bed, monitoring him for any indication he would wake up again.

In the corner of the room, the Duchess of Elysium finished writing a letter. She handed it off to one of the healer apprentices.

"Please have someone deliver this to my husband. It is uncertain if I will be back within the week."

"Of course, Your Excellency."

The apprentice rushed off with the letter.

Laurel stood by the door and caught one of the servants passing through.

"Has Duchess Odum come back yet?"

"No, Your Excellency," the servant replied.

Laurel scrunched up her brow.

A few hours before, she had sent Vespera away with a long list of supplies.

The closest apothecary should have all the herbs she requested, so what was taking her so long?

"I'm back."

From behind one of the corners of the hall, Vespera appeared as if she was summoned, walking out of an entrance that was supposed to be a wall with a woven basket.

Laurel merely blinked as the wall sealed back up, leaving no evidence of a secret tunnel.

"Needed to do something. Sorry."

She shook her head. "It's fine. Did you get everything?"

Vespera nodded and handed her the basket.

Laurel took a peek.

"Perfect. Let's continue the treatment."

---

The head healer advised him to take a break, but Gareth was afraid that something would happen if he wasn't there, so he stubbornly stayed beside Nazareth.

Countless people were monitoring the situation, keeping a close eye on his son's heartbeat.

They were all eyeing the rise and fall of his chest, each breath he took—however small they were—and securing the room so that not even a ray of sunlight could enter.