Chapter 2: Rainier

This chapter is brought to you by Monet by MoonMoon.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

As Neo collected the last scrap of hair off the floor, someone knocked on the door.

He paused.

"Young Master Nazareth, it is time to wake up," the voice on the other end rang out.

He noticed that it was a pleasant one. There was a silvery undertone beneath the crisp and polite utterance that seemed very familiar to him.

His mind scrambled to remember who the person outside was.

(It'd been thirty-seven years after all.)

"Please wait a moment!" he yelled, perhaps sounding a bit too panicked as he ran toward the open window and tossed the last of his hair out of it.

Clambering onto the bed, he pulled the covers over himself and sat up, looking like he just woke up.

"Come in!"

It occurred to him moments later that he had cut his own hair...

So pretending to be asleep was possibly one of the stupidest things he had ever thought of, seeing as he would have gone out of bed to chop off the tangles and there would be no way to explain why he suddenly lost a foot-length of hair overnight.

The door handle began to turn.

Neo knew exactly who the servant was the moment the door opened.

The familiar black ribbon around his eyes was the first thing he noticed. Then, it was the upright posture exuding maturity and calm. Finally, his gaze landed on the personalized uniform of a Capable Servant.

Regretting his life choices, Neo watched the tall figure of his personal valet step into the room.

---

The oldest Young Master had responded to him today in a strange tone of voice.

He found that to be beyond frightening, seeing as the youth did not hurl any curses at him the moment he stepped into the room.

When the Young Master was quiet, you can never tell what he was planning—and that made him even more dangerous.

"Good morning, Young Master."

Rainier Mosely masked his suspicion and apprehension with a sarcastic smirk, greeting the youth as usual. He stood by the door for a few seconds, waiting for something to be thrown at him.

However, as he waited and waited, he found that there was nothing. Not even a rustle of a blanket or the sound of a vase being picked up.

If Rainier hadn't heard the Young Master's breathing, he would have thought that the boy had already left the room.

He wondered what the Young Master was scheming today.

"En."

Hearing the response, Rainier paused.

Well, that was very strange. Perhaps the Young Master was sick?

As a servant in the Odum Household, he should feel concerned for the Young Master, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

He merely sustained the smile on his face and asked the obligatory question, "Is Young Master feeling alright today?"

He was met with a long pause.

And then...

"... Yes..."

To understand all relationships, one must first understand every point and perspective to the makings of that relationship. To assume before any prior evidence was to be an ignorant fool.