Chapter 19: Smile

This chapter is brought to you by Eraser by ONEWE. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

It was awkward after Royce stopped crying. They were now sitting in front of each other, legs crisscrossed and pointedly not making eye contact.

The wind had picked up at some point and kept tossing their hair around. Neo's hair came loose from the hair stick and he was forced to unravel it.

Royce gave it a cursory glance.

"Here," Neo produced a couple of handkerchiefs and offered one to him.

They looked like an absolute mess and were both ugly criers.

The red-haired teen wordlessly accepted the handkerchief.

"When did you come back?" Neo asked when they finally cleaned themselves of their tears.

He had some suspicions of Royce's situation, but there was little evidence to prove anything.

"Two and a half weeks ago," Royce's voice was rough and hoarse like sandpaper. "I convinced my father and my aunts to recontinue my Successor Training." He turned to him. "What about you?"

"It was during the Spring Holidays. I had a few extra days."

"I see."

They stopped talking again, neither knowing what to say, which was strange since Royce had always been the chatterbox in their group. He spoke even more than Tybalt, filling up space with mindless words just because he wanted to.

"What happened after I died?" Royce asked.

Neo found himself staring at some of the pigeons that landed around them.

It wasn't a great way to continue their conversation. He thought the topic might be a little sore.

Still, they both knew the knowledge was important, regardless of what memories they might bring up.

It was better to bring Royce up to date.

Royce was now staring at him intently. He seemed... tired. His eyes lacked the spark they held back then.

Honestly, it was lacking in everything, like two pools of still water, untouched and bare of any emotions.

It was a very guarded look, unlike the Royce of before.

Neo didn't know what to make of that.

The black-haired youth fiddled with the hair stick, his fingers tracing the detailed etches and pressing the sharp point against his skin as he avoided the other's sharp gaze.

"Tybalt gave all the information he had on me to Aurelion and left the academy. Soon after, Finneas confessed the truth about our schemes. I wasn't in the right state of mind after that, especially with graduation drawing closer and my imprisonment imminent, so I kidnapped Sutton and tried to kill him."

Royce didn't say anything, so he continued.

"Aurelion stabbed me with a sword and I bled out. After that, I woke up in the other world and decided... I was going to do better. I changed my name to Neo and became a doctor."

The air stilled between them.

He watched as Royce took in the information.

A few seconds later, the other spoke.

"Doctor Neo Overland?"

Oh?

Neo blinked.

"You heard of me?" he asked, surprised.