Chapter 8: Notes

This chapter is brought to you by Regulus by ONEWE.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

In his studies, Neo sat hunched over his work desk with his pen scribbling madly.

His history essays were subpar, but he was working through them as best as he could.

The spring quarter break ended tomorrow. He had spent the last few days finishing all his assignments and relearning some of the materials in preparation for the Academy.

Rainier entered the room.

"Your coffee, Young Master," the servant brought in another pot of freshly brewed coffee.

"Mm," Neo hummed, absentmindedly holding out a hand to receive the cup.

The cup was inserted into his hand a second later. He robotically took a sip and went back to furiously writing.

From morning to noon to mid-afternoon, the sound of pen to paper could be heard nonstop. The youth sitting behind his work desk was deeply focused on completing weeks' worth of classroom assignments.

Rainier came in every hour to replace the coffee pot.

The clock chimed to three.

Sigh.

Neo stretched out his fingers and tilted his head from side to side.

This body was not used to office work.

Looking at the stack of completed assignments, Neo felt like he could breathe again.

Back in the modern world, his work ethic had always been good. He never developed the habit of procrastination--his parents had been quite anal about turning things in on time, making sure he always finished his work before the due date.

In college, he had been impatient to graduate, so rather than waiting around for the due dates, he studied under professors who allowed students to work at their own pace.

Living a lifetime with such stiff time management nearly gave him an aneurism after looking at all his overdue assignments on his table.

He knew he was a bad student in this lifetime, but he didn't think it was this bad.

It just showed how little he had cared for his own future.

Shaking his head at his own negligence, Neo took a long sip of his coffee, trying to ease his mind.

Tomorrow, he would be going back to Noble Academy.

The spring quarter break was only a week long. He came back a few days into it with no real plans on how he was going to fix the future other than not being a grade-A asshole.

He had developed a list of things to do for the week before going to bed last night.

The most urgent things that required fixing were the assassination attempts.

He would have to go to the slums and call off the assassination he had scheduled for next month. It would have to be a personal visit since the group he'd subscribed to was incredibly private.

After visiting his mummy the other day, he began looking into all the criminal incidents he caused during this time period.

There was a group of people who came into contact with him on his twelfth birthday. They offered him a gift--their aid--but not without a price.

He knew them only as the Syndicate.

That should have been the first red flag.

Neo brought out his personal notes from this lifetime and began piecing together the mystery behind this mysterious organization.