Chapter 5: Sutton

This chapter is brought to you by Saturn by Sleeping At Last. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

The moment he came out from behind his gardenias, Sutton saw a well-dressed customer standing at the door with a blindfolded man behind him.

The customer's hair was neat and inky black, reminding him of raven feathers taking flight.

There was an odd appearance of uncertainty on his face while he stared at Sutton, but it quickly receded to one of interest when his gaze fell on the flowers in his arms.

Sutton smiled sheepishly.

"Please hold on. I just need to put these down first."

He gently laid down the flowers on a countertop and patted his hand on his apron, ridding it of pollen.

"How can I help you?"

He turned back to the customer and found himself meeting vermillion eyes shining prominently in the natural light of the store, akin to spider lilies.

The eyes creased and Sutton was stunned.

Like budding petals, the youth's face opened into a little smile, the initial frost he saw on his face thawing like spring after the bitter winter cold. His lips parted to form words, but Sutton didn't hear him, his mind in a daze.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump.

The pumping of his blood thrummed in his chest, weaving through his bloodstream and spreading from his heart. He found himself falling into a state of calamity.

Sutton had never seen a customer wear such fine clothes before. The youth exuded a cold elegance capable of drawing someone in, yet keeping them at a distance.

He didn't fit with the backdrop of his humble shop.

The youth wasn't devastatingly beautiful or handsome, but the ambiguity surrounding him when he smiled had Sutton's ears flushing red.

"Ehem,"

Oh, yes. How could he forget the man standing behind the well-dressed customer?

He was an unusual sight, himself.

Blindfolded and perfectly postured. There was a subservient around him despite his charming smile.

If Sutton hadn't known any better, it's almost as he was in front of a noble and his servant.

But that can't be possible, right...?

"Um, excuse me..."

"Huh?"

The customer titled his head in confusion.

It took Sutton an embarrassingly awkward moment to realize he was speaking to him.

"I'm so very sorry!" he quickly bowed his head in apology, "Can you say that again?"

Whether or not the youth actually came from nobility couldn't be one-hundred percent certain, but Sutton always prided on his professionalism.

Oogling a customer in broad daylight right in his face is not professionalism!

The customer shook his head gently and let loose another smile as if he found Sutton to be an object of amusement, "No worries. I can see that you're busy."

For a moment, Sutton couldn't breathe.

He heard the youth's voice clearly.

Too cute! Way too cute!