Chapter 22: Lavender

This chapter is brought to you by Moon by Jin from BTS.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

"Young Master Nazareth, a letter from the Dartmouth Family has arrived for you," a maidservant announced the moment she walked into Neo's office.

"Young Master Nazareth, you have a letter from the Moores Family," another servant declared, following the maid inside.

Neo stopped writing and looked up. He saw both servants holding a letter in their hands. After deducing their content, he turned back to his work. "Get rid of them."

"Certainly," both answered simultaneously and gave a small bow. They left immediately to do just that.

Once the door was shut, Neo sighed.

Two out of three of the nobles he previously held connections with were still harassing him after he sent out letters regarding his intentions to break off contact. Both the Dartmouth and Moores were persistent, but he'd heard nothing from the third.

Hopefully, they would all eventually accept his request and leave him alone.

"Young Master," Rainier greeted as he walked inside.

He held a tea tray in his hands and cocked his head when he saw him. "Is something the matter?"

Neo made a scornful noise and shook his head, "There's always something these days," he groused, eyeing the tea tray. "And you always seem to bring the right drinks every time."

The servant set the tray down with a wry smile. "I am glad to serve," he replied, pouring him a cup of tea and handing it to him.

Neo raised an eyebrow as he was handed the cup, "Are you?"

"The paycheck is good."

He scoffed. A few seconds went by while he took a sip of the tea and refreshed himself.

The two of them didn't say anything until Neo set the cup down. "Can I see?"

Rainier paused in his movements, the hand reaching for the teapot frozen in midair.

After a moment where both of them just... stared at each other, his hand reached behind his head and undid his blindfold.

Cornflower eyes adjusted to the light before meeting vermillion.

Neo slowly reached out to trace the marks covering Rainier's eyes. They stood stark black against the man's skin, the scars of a blade extruding in some areas.

A feeling of frustration bubbled in his chest.

"I'm taking too long," he muttered.

The servant blinked at him with a mix of confusion in his eyes. "It's been barely two months."

Neo scowled. "But it shouldn't take more than a few weeks for me."

Rainier had no response to that.

Neo pursed his lips and dropped his hand, looking away.

After a while, the servant spoke, "... You act as if I will die. Will I?"

Neo was stricken by the question and immediately denied this, "No—"

Rainier cut him off, "Then it's fine."

He wrinkled his brows, not understanding. "It's not fine. How can it be fine—"

"Young Master," Rainier showed a small, but uneasy smile, "I've waited this long. There's nothing wrong with waiting longer."

Silence passed through them.