Chapter 37: Odum p.2

This chapter is brought to you by MYSTERIOUS by QUEEN BEE. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

Neo watched as Rainier drifted through the Odum Archive on a moving ladder. There were several books balanced on the servant's head as he was pushed from one shelf to another courtesy of the self-automation seal embedded inside the ladder.

The device was the latest gift from Quill.

Technically, Neo had a hand in some of the seal's development, but not on purpose. One of the experimental seals he was making for the Slave Emblem was scrapped when he accidentally wrote the wrong sigil.

Seal scraps were often stored away rather than burned since there was always the possibility of needing them for a breakthrough.

The latest product the Magic Tower managed to make from his scraps was this ladder that could move at the will of its users. Neo couldn't comprehend how his bio-mana seals worked in technological innovation, but at least the charm engineers were creating miracles for the lazy.

Neo had moved the ladder to the Archive since he had no need of it in his office. So far, Rainier was the only one who played with it.

He drove the ladder through the massive space with his impeccable memory, gathering all the records Neo requested.

"Young Master, were these the ones you were looking for?"

Rainier grabbed the last book and came back to the table.

Neo had taken refuge in the center of the Archive, surrounded by dozens of records. Stone tablets, papyrus, parchment scrolls, and books from different eras of the Empire lay askew around him.

He made room on the table for the new books. "My thanks," he murmured as Rainier laid them down.

"What exactly do you need these records for?"

"It's a personal interest," Neo said.

"From... your last life?" The pause in Rainier's sentence spoke of his curiosity.

Neo shook his head, "No. It's... I want to check something. Just in case."

He was deflecting.

Thankfully, Rainier didn't pry any further. Instead, he excused himself to make tea.

Neo was left in the Archives by himself.

He continued reading.

---

The Odum Ducal.

A family who came into existence at the dawn of the Empire.

Loyal, Noble, and Old.

A little more emphasis on the old part.

Despite all the records and history—in spite of making history—the bloodline of the Odum Family had always been teetering on the fine lines of existence and extinction.

It started with the first ancestor.

Long ago, a curse was placed upon them by a mischievous fairy. The uniquely blue-sapphire eyes and raven hair passed down through the children of the Odum bloodline were a part of the curse.

A brand of shame.

But the real harm done was the risk of infertility.

Unlike most noble families, the Odums could have no more than two children per generation. A boy and a girl, an heir and a spare... but only the heir would be gifted the right to pass on the lineage.