Chapter 31: Guinivere

This chapter is brought to you by DINOSAUR by AKMU.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

Guinivere would be lying if she claimed she was close to either of her older brothers growing up.

She did not know them very well, but she understood them on a surface level.

Aurelion had always been calm and detached, someone who spoke little and had too little time to spend with her.

He was like the rest of their family, therefore, he was predictable.

Nazareth was crazy. No further explanation was needed.

As for Guinivere herself, she had a tough exterior and a love for a good duel, but beneath those interests, she knew she was the most emotionally intelligent person in her family.

This awareness paired well with her luck of being born a girl and the youngest child. She was the only daughter of the Odum Family and everyone doted on her.

The stress and worry on the issues relating to heirship would never fall to her, so while her brothers fought it out, she could easily fly under the radar and watch from the side.

So for a very long time, Guinivere thought she was lucky because her older brothers didn't see her as an obstacle, but rather the focus of their love.

Odums loved, as their father always said. Sometimes beautifully, sometimes painfully.

To them, she was the golden child—someone with a talent for the sword and the freedom to leave if she so desired. 

Unlike her brothers, she was free.

She could run while they were damned to their struggles and blinded to everything else.

It was sad when she thought about it like this. But it was the truth.

Guinivere had no shackles but the rest of her beloved family would always be imprisoned in a hell of their own making.

But that wasn't the point she was making.

The point was, Guinivere knew love in many forms.

She didn't think there could be so many, but her family proved her wrong.

Nazareth was never out to kill her, which meant a lot, considering his relationship with Aurelion.

Aurelion fretted over her in his own ice cube-like ways despite being more emotionally constipated than their father.

Lastly, her parents loved her the best they could with... very unorthodox parenting methods.

Her father never said Odums loved conventionally.

Take for example her brothers, who both had the depths of a teaspoon combined and below-average emotional ranges.

Neither was known for being warm and gentle.

Secretly, in Guinivere's maiden heart, she had always wanted a warm and gentle brother.

Someone to soothe her pains, brush away tears, give her hugs, and be affectionate.

Reality gave her a giant moving block of ice and a crazy feral animal with a lot of hair.

Her expectations were extremely unrealistic, but a girl could dream.

Back when it was her first day of Junior Division, she saw her two good friends, Anna and Mary, being escorted by their older brothers to their designated classrooms. They were given hugs and head pats before parting.