Chapter 44: Arcadia Siblings

This chapter is brought to you by Lion by (G)I-DLE.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

A carriage pulled to a stop in front of an alleyway.

A figure wearing a deerskin cloak stepped out.

"Madam," a servant bowed.

"Wait here."

"Yes, Madam."

She disappeared into the alleyway with silent footsteps.

---

Vespera stood in front of a rundown shop. The door was barely hanging off the hinges. When she went to open it, a vine shot out from the cracks and wrapped itself around her wrist.

Without any hesitation, she held the vine in a death grip and let it squirm in her grasp, giving it a cold look.

"Naughty."

The vine froze and then melted into a state reminiscent of her younger son whenever he grew flustered.

It suddenly turned an alarming shade of pink before a red flower instantly bloomed at the tip of it.

Vespera expressionlessly walked inside with the vine wrapped around her arm.

The interior of the shop was just as dingy-looking as the outside.

The owner of the establishment, a man with olive skin, emerald green eyes, and white hair, stood behind the counter with a perplexed frown on his face. He wore a pair of gold-rimmed glasses that covered a long scar trailing down one of his eyes.

"Sister, how lovely it is to see you."

"Ortho, you look well."

Vespera undid the clasp of her cloak and the vine took it to the coat hanger near the counter. It threw all the coats off the hanger before carefully placing the cloak on a hook.

Ortho pursed his lips in displeasure.

His sister made her way over.

"Marriage has softened you," she said.

Ortho was about to retort when his face suddenly slackened.

A moment later—

His eyes went wide with panic.

"Um..." he swallowed, "Sister-in-law, it is so good to see you. Would you like some water? Tea? Perhaps coffee? Why don't you sit down and I'll go get that for you? The weather must be very warm."

Artho appeared, greeting Vespera as if she were a great ancestor from a distant land. This was his in-law. He hadn't seen her since he and Ortho accidentally eloped and dragged Malark with them to the Francois Republic.

That was years ago, and the grudge still held strong.

When Malark ran off to elope with the healer from the Polska Nation after the war, Lucian Moores created magic dummies as belated wedding gifts.

The dummies could temporarily house their separate soul particles without harming Malark, so Artho couldn't stop himself from proposing once they separated.

There was a lot of alcohol involved, and by the time they were aware of what happened, he and Ortho were married.

Malark later advised them to steer clear of Vespera for a while.

He predicted she would be the angriest after Ortho and Artho got married without her knowledge.

It was bad enough he and some herbalist from the Polska Nation also ran off after the end of the Lesser Krieg War, but for Ortho—Vespera and Malark's half-brother—to be eloping with an entity like Artho—it became somewhat of a scandal.