Chapter 29: Lester

Ko-fi Chapter 2/2: Thank you for the support, everyone!

Edited by: bafflinghaze

The chapter is brought to you by Zombie by Day6. 

---

Lester hated this school.

The people, the ranks, the backhanded remarks, and all the million etiquette rules put into place by people who had nothing better to do than to judge others.

Who cared if he was no better than a low-born commoner? Those in Noble Academy were all hypocrites, anyway. He knew none of their hands were clean, his included, so it was disgusting to watch them act like they were saints and fair-minded people.

He was the first son of the Dartmouth Household. Lester Dartmouth. There was no middle name, as everyone knew that no one of the baron class should ever be given a middle name.

His family ascended into nobility during the Fifty Year War after his grandfather saved the life of Emperor Mavis Alycion Romulus on the bloody battlefield.

In the history books, his grandfather took up five pages, with an inspiring story of how a commoner hailing from a humble fishing town rose to the ranks of a baron within the span of half a year due to his war prowess and took control of the territory to the east of Rhine that was near the coast.

To no one's surprise when he was first drafted, his grandfather was meant to be fodder on the frontline, but he survived every battle, and with each victory for the Empire, his reputation spread.

Eventually, the enemy soldiers began to call him the Grey Death.

His grandfather had gotten so used to being in the front line that even when he became the captain of his squad, he was always the first to leap into the line of battle and was known to single-handedly obliterate the first wave of troops sent against them.

It could be said that he found his "calling" in the line of action.

As a result, for his merits and achievements, his grandfather was given commandership of the Silver Raven Division, a group of knights loyal solely to the empire and its royal family.

Within half a year, his grandfather took this knight division and turned it into a destructive force by having it specialize in espionage and secret service. The Silver Raven went on to play a major role in gaining Rhine's victory in the Fifty Year War.

And that was the start of the Dartmouth legacy.

From a lowly pauper to a baron, his family remained in that coastal territory and grew from the ground up through the favors of Emperor Mavis.

His grandfather shed his commoner names and became known as the Dartmouth Baron. Commander Dartmouth. Lord Dartmouth. Head of the Dartmouth Household.

But with no war and no bloodshed, as was common for many soldiers and those who gained status through the military, peace became unbearable.

A title, as many would later find out, was merely a title.

Civilians looked down upon the soldiers of war and those who were rewarded with baron and count titles.

As for those like his grandfather, with a name like Grey Death and the stories told off the battlefield of a nightmarish mess of grey-silver hair and a flash of a blade reflecting the doom and gloom of grim grey eyes before the bloody massacre of enemy soldiers, they looked on with fear and prejudice.

Normal commoners isolated them while the aristocracy hid their sneers behind painted fans and taut smiles.

A lowborn's blood was still filth in the eyes of true nobility, and they were but a stain within the society of aristocrats.