Chapter 18: Royce

This chapter is brought to you by COSMOS by ONEWE.

Edited by: bafflinghaze 

---

Two weeks after the Spring Holiday, Royce Benedick came back to school.

Students who often lingered in the courtyard in the early mornings witnessed him entering the school building and dived into the newfound gossip with relish.

From his prolonged absence to the current state of the eldest Odum's connections, those who hadn't been able to keep up with the latest news were brought up to speed alongside those who had recently graduated from the Junior Division before the Spring Holidays.

Royce Benedick was the missing member of Nazareth Odum's group and was perceived to be quite foolish and dumb.

If Nazareth Odum was known as the Scummy Troublemaker, then Royce Benedick was recognized as the Asslicking Dog.

The moniker was crude, but also very true.

The students continued informing one another, as was expected of them.

Gossip was vital in the aristocracy, especially when it related to those of higher nobility.

It was important to recognize the changes happening.

First, it was Nazareth Odum, who cut his hair. He not only looked quite decent now, but no one had disappeared for the last two weeks and he hadn't threatened anyone with their livelihood. Interestingly enough, his relationship with his younger brother seemed to have... developed in a more positive light.

Then, it was Aurelion Odum, the victim of a thousand assassination attempts, awkwardly trying to find ways to talk to his older brother—also known as the person most suspected to be the mastermind behind those assassination attempts—during passing hour and lunch breaks.

The kid tried, and it was really painful to see, but thankfully, his (crazy) older brother seemed to be responding kindly(?) to his efforts.

Now, Royce Benedick was back on campus after a long absence without a stupid smile on his face.

He was surprisingly difficult to approach without a smile.

Those who knew him since childhood have not seen him like this since the death of his older brother many years ago.

It was strange, how the moment he stepped out of his carriage, he didn't wait at the gates for the eldest Odum like he usually did every morning.

His back was certainly straighter, some have whispered offhandedly.

It was as if he gained a sense of self-worth for the first time in his life.

The other students were thrown into a frenzy, making up all kinds of theories once the dots were all being connected.

(They connected shit.)

This couldn't be a coincidence, could it?

Was the debauched heir of the Benedick Family turning over a new leaf?

Was there conflict in Nazareth Odum's group?

Had Royce been in hiding because he had offended both Odum brothers?

WAS HE DATING GUINIVERE ODUM?!

That last question, right there, was spot on.

(Again, they connected shit.)

Both Odum brothers adored their sister to a frightening degree. Few variables could result in the brothers joining hands, but Guinivere Odum held a special place in her brothers' hearts.