Chapter 39: Brothers

This chapter is brought to you by Family Line by Conan Gray. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

It was unknown how long the two of them sat there, wrapped in a wool blanket together like a steam bun.

Aurelion was in tears, trying to hide his sobs by burying his face into the blanket. It took him great effort to keep his cries at bay. His lips still trembled despite his attempts to muffle the sounds. A few hiccups spilled out as a result.

Neo looked away.

He was uncomfortable seeing Aurelion cry.

The fat tears were dripping down from porcelain cheeks and tumbling out like pearls, making his brother look oddly younger. It was in the way his face crumpled into a feverish flush while his eyes were red-rimmed and bruised.

All the while, Neo was unable to properly comfort him as he thought back to the question he was asked.

"Why did you do it?"

In other words, "Why do you hate me?"

His brother would be met with disappointment if he were to tell him there was no reason at all for what he did.

It was never about Aurelion in the first place.

Rather, the problem had always been Neo.

No, Nazareth.

Neo.

Nazareth.

No! No... it was Neo.

Himself.

The blame laid with him.

He wasn't ready for the world beyond the Lotus Garden. When mummy was taken away, and then he was no longer welcomed at the brothel, there was nothing left for him. The end of the world was upon him—everything was ripped away in a blink of an eye.

But then the day came for his father to bring him home. What a shame it was for the child he picked up to have already seen the darkest sides of humanity.

If not for his life in the Western Slums, would he have known anything else?

No. He was an example of human nature, and the thing with human nature was like a dandelion seed.

When given the opportunity to adapt, he spurned it selfishly. He refused to be anything else but the monster he created in his mind.

If he dug deep enough into his psyche and allowed his mind to flood with unwanted memories and their adjoining emotions, could he find the answer for his hatred there?

One should note Neo was not ignorant of the way Aurelion was becoming dependent on him.

He chose to remain silent about this for the sake of Aurelion's dignity, and also because he enjoyed the feeling of being depended on.

However, it seemed many—including Aurelion—had started to forget what kind of person Neo used to be.

They forgot he was once the most possessive little shit anyone could ever have the misfortune of meeting.

After all, an Odum loved unconventionally.

Hatred and love were complicated and fickle things. They made people act on their most irrational instincts.

To Aurelion who loved their family, like they were his very soul, he was akin to a wolf protecting his territory.

But Nazareth only had so much love to give. When there was no more left, what else was he supposed to do but substitute Odum Love with Odum Hate?