The diary

You had been sharing a room with Severus for some time, enjoying his presence with you as you slept. You took it in turns to clean the room, and this week it was yours. You cleaned the dust from the bookshelves and cleaned the floors, making sure they were spotless. Going under the bed you got some dust-out. There must be more dust under there. You thought. Grimacing you took out your band and lit the space under the bed. You saw a small bag. You where curious, bringing it out you opened it to find a small diary. You flipped the page open and started to read.

"Lily's so lovely" you flipped a page. "Lily...my girl. I love her! I love her! I love her!" you carried on reading the words. They were so passionate and sung Lily's praises to the moon and back. You felt tears sting your eyes and you checked the back of the book. It had the date on which he bought it. Two years ago. You and Severus had started dating two years ago. Your face fell and you started to cry, throwing the book away and running out the room. You wanted to get out, away.

You ran towards the edge of the local forest to Spinners end and sat down, your back to a tree. You sobbed, holding yourself in your arms. At the moment you just wanted to die. Severus obviously didn't love you. The writing had showed that. You felt betrayed, as the last two years had been worthless, as he was still hankering after the dead Lily. You thought you meant more to him than that. 

You stayed your back to the tree for you had no idea how long. It was getting dark and the town started to light up. You had no idea what Severus was doing. You hoped he was making the best apology dinner ever created. You loved Severus but you were finding this betrayal difficult to deal with. You had thought he loved you more than a memory.

You wiped your tears as you heard movement behind you. You knew it was Severus. He sat down on the other side of the tree. "You found it" he stated.

You stayed silent, anger bubbling up inside you. He also stayed silent. 

"Oh, so no apology?" you asked angrily. "No I'm sorry you are still hankering after a dead woman who stopped loving you in year 4" You started to cry again. "I thought you loved me more than a memory Severus. You told me yourself you were over Lily. You said you would never betray me and always love me. Yet what is this?" You wiped your eyes. "What is it okay if the woman is dead? I could write love poems about Remus because I loved him at one point. But when he turned me down I accepted it. You know why? Because in a relationship the other person matters too." The tears started to fall quicker. "You broke my heart Severus" you said in a broken voice.

"What can I do?" Severus asked meekly.

"Stop being obsessed with her" you said. "Yes, I miss Lily. But she is dead Severus. You have me. and if you don't like me and would prefer Lily's memory then I can leave. Do I stay? Knowing life would always be a little bit worse? Or Do I cut and run?"

"No" Severus said quickly.  "I don't want you to leave. I have been a fool. A classic fool"

"Yes but you have also made a fool out of me" you said. "You made the life I lead foolish too."

"I will get rid of the book." Severus said, he sounded like he was in a panic. Severus got up and knelt down in front of you. "I want to show you something". He took his wand out and closed his eyes. He cast his Patronus. You looked in shock. It was yours. You looked confused at Severus. "I don't know if you will ever forgive me" he whispered. "But know that is an indication of my love. When I cast it, I think of me and you together just sitting and holding each other"

You smiled slightly and got up. "I am glad you showed me that" you whispered. "Now what are we doing when we get home?"

"Getting rid of the book" Severus said.

"and you are also getting me a takeaway, wine and a bath as apology" you said. "and not all at once"

Severus nodded and together you walked back to the house.

Together you got rid of the book. It was the end of an era for Severus but he knew he had to stop. You then sat together, eating Turkish. It was quiet and Severus seemed withdrawn, angry at himself that you had to go through such heartbreak. Severus went off in the middle of the meal and tried to figure out how you liked your bath. He poured in something with seemed like bubble bath, sniffing it and peering at it confused. He also put in what seemed to be a bath bomb. The room was now sweet-smelling and warm.

You walked in and smiled. "Champagne" you said "that's what this needs."

Severus shuffled off and brought back a glass and a bottle. You had gotten into the bath and was relaxing. You opened your eyes and raised your eyebrow. "Aren't you having any?" you asked. "or am I having the bottle" you chuckled as Severus went away again, bringing in another glass. He handed one to you and sat on the closed toilet seat.

"Oh Severus" you said rolling your eyes.

"What?" he asked.

"Come here" you said, pointing to the bath. Severus raised his eyebrows and slowly took his robes off and sat between your legs, his head on your chest. "Now Severus" you said gently. "I will forgive but not forget. Do you think that is fair?"

Severus nodded. "Yes" he whispered. "It is totally fair"

"I am glad you agree" you said and relaxed slightly. "I am glad we are finally on the same page"