God only knows

This chapter is based of the song God only knows by the beach boys.

You and Severus laid in a little clearing in the forbidden forest. It was protected by magic and was a place for you and Severus to relax together. Severus stared out into the forest absentmindedly while he held you snuggled into his chest.

You had managed to calm Severus down from being angry at his class of second years and you suggested him getting relaxed in the little isolated part of the forbidden forest.

Severus blinked and looked down at your closed eyes. If you hadn't been there to look after him after his anger he would have already drunken himself into a stupor and cried over Lily. He was glad that he hasn't, he sighed and relaxed into the tree that he has his back on. The stars twinkled down from the dark sky, winking and pulsating in the sky.

He kissed your head and put his arms around you fully. You looked up at him and smiled "you feeling calmer?" you asked.

"Quite calm" he said "thanks to you" he kissed your head again. "I would have no idea what I would do without you" he murmured, nuzzling his face into your hair.

Severus wished to hold you forever, he was scared that you might leave him and then what good would living do him? Severus started to hum a lullaby which his mother had sung him, rocking you back and forward in his arms. His lullaby relaxed him and he looked down at you again. He didn't remember the lyrics, only the tune.

You sighed into him, relaxing further into his close cuddle. You started to hum with him, knowing the tune as he had sung it to you many times. Severus stopped and kissed your head, listening to you as you sung the lullaby.

"The stars are beautiful tonight" you murmured, looking up.

"They are shinning for you" he said and kissed you, pulling you up to stand. He led you into the middle of the clearing and you both laid on the soft grass, looking up at the sky. Severus saw a star flash and fade, he smiled. He felt finally at peace, not relying on Lily for his help, you taught him to love himself, now he had to properly believe it.

Severus took your hand and laced his fingers with yours.

"It is so clear" you murmured, watching the stars. "Ahh a comet" you said. "make a wish!"

Severus smirked. He didn't believe in all that nonsense but he still closed his eyes and squeezed your hand. He wished that you would be with him forever.

You rolled over and grinned. "What did you wish for?" you asked.

"Doesn't that invalidate the wish?" he asked.

"I don't know" you murmured. "I bet you wished for better students" you said chucking. 

"I wished you would stay with me forever" he said, squeezing your hand again. 

"Snap" you said smiling. "I also wished for that"

Severus smiled weakly. He felt himself on the verge of happy tears, someone finally wanted to spend time with him. He brought your hand up to his mouth and kissed it. "I love you" he murmured against your hand. 

"I love you too Severus, and I will stay with you always"

"It is al I ever wanted" he said, his voice breaking slightly.  He coughed and wiped his eyes.

You sat in silence until you could both not stand the cold any longer and together went back to Hogwarts where you laid together next to the fire on the carpet, glasses of warm mulled wine in your hands. You both watched the crackling fire and held hands as you sat. Life was perfect.