Animals

(You can listen to the music to understand sort of where I am going with this. A basic background to this album is that it is based on Animal Farm. The pigs are described as manipulative politicians who keep their power through injustice. The dog's meanwhile elevate themselves over others for power or another reason. The sheep meanwhile are those who follow blindly. In this chapter, I compare Severus to originally a sheep and then a dog, then finally a dog who has finally found a home with you. It is a bit confusing but fingers crossed I described things okay in this chapter. I am also comparing Voldemort and Dumbledore too the pigs, who manipulated and abused Severus)

You and Severus were cleaning out spinner's end, sorting the books, vinyls and other random things. A deep clean was needed, layers of dust had piled up and it was messing with your asthma, it also meant no visitors could really come around or even you really live there anymore, spiders had taken up residence so you managed to get them out as well as other strange position stains.

You found a vinyl, tucked behind a large number of books. You took it out and blew the dust of it. "Animals" you read, raising your eyebrows.

"Careful" Severus called, hopping over a book and taking it from your hand, with his thumb cleaning off some of the dust.

"Why was it hidden?" you asked.

"I hid it from my parents and must have forgotten about it" he muttered, pulling the disk out of its sheath, looking for any cracks or damage. "I want to listen to it" he declared.

"Now?" you asked.

"Of course now" Severus said, walking out of the room

"Why did you hide it?" you asked, following Severus.

"It was a muggle disk" Severus said simply, going up the stairs. "Also mother thought I had no money so would accuse me of stealing it." he reached the top of the stairs and went into your shared room. You closed the door and he placed down the vinyl. You got into bed and Severus joined you, leaning back to start the track before cuddling into you.

The music washed over you and him, Severus holding you close to his chest. Severus had memories of sneaking out the disk when his mother and father were out, putting it on quietly on the same vinyl player he was playing it on now. He had seen it in a music shop and used the money he saved from when Lily gifted him some. Severus sighed, that was so long gone, he had you now, and he wanted you to experience the music. The room was dark and cool air blew into the room, making the curtains lazily move back and forth. Severus kissed your hair and tucked you further under the covers with him, slowly stroking your arm and reliving memories of his childhood which was not very tasteful. You nuzzled into his chest and kissed him gently, Severus smiled, you were reminding him that you were there, so he didn't need to go through the memories alone. He grinned and listened to the music, he knew it well and greeted the music like an old friend, remembering all the sadness which came from it.

On the box the lyrics were displayed, Severus poured over the lyrics as a child, creating theories and stories in his head based around the music to try and escape. The lyrics at the end of the second song stuck with him and it ran through his mind every time his father was tyrannical.

"Who was born in a house full of pain.
Who was trained not to spit in the fan.
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone"

Severus sighed, he always saw himself as the dog who fought for survival in any way he could, having to stick with the pack or he would find himself in a worse situation, with none there to look after him. That was why he became friends with Lucious and other purebloods, to stick with the pack, to stop being hurt by people around him. He looked down at you, you were listening to the music closely, letting it seep into you. Severus wondered if he would ever tell you this., about how much of a connection he felt he had to the music.

Severus whispered the lines, remembering how he used to say it while crying after being bullied, or when he failed his mock owls.

"Got to admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze
Deaf, dumb and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable, and no one has a real friend
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
Everything's done under the sun
But you believe at heart everyone's a killer"

Severus sighed, thinking of Dumbledore and Voldermort, what they both had done to him, manipulating him for his own gain. Severus hated it, when he killed Dumbledore he got no sense of happiness, just a larger empty feeling in his heart that was already barren. Severus sniffed, the lyrics of "born in a house of pain" starting. Severus tried his best to keep the tears away and instead nuzzled his face into your hair.

The pigs described in the album were Dumbledore and Voldermort, who created injustice and manipulated people for their power, Severus could see that now. He didn't know whether to laugh or cry, they were both gone but at the same time, the memories still haunted him. Severus kissed your head again, sighing, reliving the memories in his head.

Instrumentals started again and the music washed over you both. Severus released his tight embrace and you kissed his chest again, stroking it gently. You knew he was in pain and you wished to help him. You were there for him always, through thick and thin, when he was almost killed by Voldermort and through his healing. You kissed under Severus' chin and put your hands on his chest, gently stroking him.

The next song, sheep, started and Severus no longer was holding you tightly to himself, but instead relaxed his grip. You could breathe better and could kiss him on the chin periodically. Severus smiled, gently stroking your back with one finger. This song Severus also saw in his life, this was him before he had the power which he so craved, it was him, following the orders of his parents and bullies, being trodden into the ground like a nobody, when he finally beat up he found himself like the oppressor. He liked it, but also hated it as it pushed the only people he cared about away, making him just as bad as those who hurt him.

Soon the sheep washed away and the final song came on. This was the only song Severus didn't understand out of the album.

"You know that I care what happens to you
And I know that you care for me too
So I don't feel alone or the weight of the stone
Now that I've found somewhere safe to bury my bones
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing"

He finally got it as he looked down at the woman in his arms. You were his saviour, the one who gave this foolish dog a home and his shelter from Voldermort and Dumbledore. You were there for him when none else was. Tears started to fall from his eyes, he finally understood his life and he tried to wipe his tears away instead they hit your cheek and you looked up at him. Severus sniffed and gave you a slight smile. Your heart broke for him and gently you caught his lips in yours.

"I love you Severus" you whispered.

"I love you also" he murmured, kissing you again, holding you into him.

The vinyl stopped but Severus didn't seem to notice, hugging you close and kissing you, his tears falling heavier down his cheeks.

"You know that I care what happens to you" he whispered, taking your cheek. "And I know that you care for me too" he grinned, setting you up to sit with him and putting his forehead against yours. "So I don't feel alone" Severus breathed heavily, tears carried on falling from his eyes and hit the bed. "Oh (y/n)" he whispered, holding you close to him again. "I love you. Thank you for saving me"

You smiled at Severus, your own tears starting to fall slightly. "I would do it again and again" you said, kissing him gently.

"I am so glad" he murmured, turning off the player and tucking under the blankets again. You got in with him and snuggled up into him again. Together you fell asleep, Severus may someday tell you how he felt, and what he went through in order, but for now, he was happy, happy with you in his arms.