Answers

TW: arguments, grief,  self-harm

He had done it. Severus had broken up with you. He did not say why but just told you that you could not carry on. At first, you thought he was joking, but the reality set in and you left, crying. You did not understand why he would do this and so now you sat in your small flat which you had moved out of. You felt empty, the flat was also as your things were all at Hogwarts and you lived with Severus over the holidays. You didn't want to do anything even though your stomach grumbled, you were too sad to get up from your sofa, wrapped in your blanket.

Your mind whurred in confusion and pain, this did not make sense, you were both happy, nothing had changed you had thought. You wanted to shout, scream at his face but you broke down as Severus stood, his face without emotion and without the usual twinkle which played in his eyes when you were together.

Slowly you got up from the sofa, there were a few cans in the cupboard and in the freezer some ice cream. Slowly you took it out, you had no idea how long it had been sitting there and it was liquid from the cold being turned off.

You laid back onto the sofa, your face stuffed between cushions. What was the point? Why were you not home with Severus? Was this your fault? It had to be. You had done something you didn't realise to hurt him. Tears filled your eyes again and you didn't stop them from falling. It was not fair. You knew Severus was cold-hearted, but you thought his heart was warm for you.

You didn't bother to get up and you soon fell asleep in your own tears.

You woke and slowly got up, your head ached and your eyes puffy. What was the point of getting up when you had nothing to look forward to? You had no food in and you were in no state to go shopping. You didn't have many clothes in your flat, them all being at Hogwarts or with him. You still did not understand why he would do this to you, you had been together for one and a half years and this is how it ends? No.

Getting up you were determined to get an answer from him rather than sitting and crying. Pulling yourself together slightly so you were in a state to even to apparate. Sighing and closing your eyes you disappeared, appearing in front of the door in Spinner's end. For a moment you stood, unsure what to do. You bit your lip, going to knock but faltering. Rubbing your face and giving yourself a quiet pep talk you knocked loudly.

None answered. You frowned and knocked again but again Severus did not come to the door. You frowned and fished out of your pocket the key. Entering you closed the door again and sighed. You were home, the smell and warmth you remembered, however, you could not let your love for the house distract you.

Going into the sitting room you saw the threadbare sofa and the comfortable seat, but not Severus. You sighed, maybe he wasn't home. Going upstairs you looked into the bedroom and saw Severus. He lay on the bed, splayed. You frowned and came closer, sitting on the bed and looking at his bare back for a moment.

Was that? your eyes caught red and you lifted his arm to see scars all over it. Shocked you gasped which woke Severus who jumped, his face full of shock. As soon as he saw you his face softened and then it hardened.

"What are you doing here?" Severus asked harshly, trying to pull his arm away, humiliated he saw you like this.

"I wanted to understand why" you hissed.

"I don't like you, you annoy me, I hate your silly face. Take your pick" Severus muttered, pulling his arm away again. It slipped out of your grasp and he got up. "Now leave"

"No" you said, scowling. "I want a real answer."

Severus snarled and stared you down, his eyes however did not show anger or hatred, it was one of sadness and regret, he seemed half hearted about wanting you to leave.

"Severus, I know your eyes" you said quietly. Immediately they snapped away from you and he dropped onto the floor, laying his head back into the wall. He looked down, his dark hair not showing his starting to tear up. "I need to keep you safe" he said, slight grief laced between the words.

"Safe?" you asked, not believing him. "Safe from what? Nothing bad will happen Severus I-""You are wrong" Severus interrupted. He sighed, "I felt it"

"What?" you asked, terribly confused.

"The mark" he gritted his teeth. "It is getting darker and it aches. He calls for his followers that he is alive. I must keep you safe and the only way to do that is to distance myself instead you are hurt"

"I am not scared of him" you said quietly. "For you, I would stand up to him myself."

"But you cannot" Severus said louder. "If you do, I will lose you forever and I am not prepared for it to happen again."

"You are selfish" you said, tears started to fill your eyes. Severus looked up, confused. "You didn't think about how I would feel, you didn't ask what I wanted" you sighed, pushing away your tears. "I want to stay with you through it all. No matter what. I want you with me always"

Severus sighed, standing and sitting on the bed. "I thought it would be best for you"

"You should have talked to me" you said quietly. "You don't communicate you silly man" you said, tears streaming down your face. "Then I could have helped and" you took his arm and kissed his hand. "I could have looked after you the way you do for me"

Severus looked away and sighed, "I want to keep you safe" he said quietly.

"And I want to see you also safe" you said. "I love you and I don't want to leave you because of him"

Severus sighed again, for the past hours he had been unable to control the great emotions which washed over him, ones of regret, sadness and guilt. He had cut his arm to try and stop the pain and to take away the mark, but by the end, he just felt more empty.

"Promise me" he said quietly "Promise that you will keep safe, I am dangerous to know"

"I understand" you said. "No matter what, I will keep safe and I will keep you safe"

"I need you, don't I?" Severus mumbled, looking at his arm, what happens if you aren't here

"And I need you" you said, turning to face him properly. Severus moved forward and his lips quickly met yours, his kiss was full of longing. You kissed back, gripping his warm long hands gently.

Severus let go and frowned. "I am sorry dearest" he said quietly. "I did not think"

"I understand how you would panic, '' you said, taking his arm. Severus flinched slightly but allowed you to press your wand against it and for the cuts to be healed. Slight marks remained that slightly criss crossed over the tattoo. "I am sorry Severus" you said. "I never want to see you hurting"

"I think I would hurt more if you did not come today" Severus said, cupping your cheek. "You always manage to heal me"

"I am glad I do" you said, staring into Severus' black eyes, the slight twinkle of love had returned. "Just, please promise me that you will never leave"

"As long as you never tell me to go"

"Never again"

His lips met yours again and you kissed. Slowly he pushed you down onto the bed and hugged you into him, kissing your cheek and resting his lips and nose against you. Slowly you both fell asleep, exhausted from the day.