Chapter 53: Percy's New Conscience

Oh my gods this past month has been crazy. I've been writing ideas and little dialogue scenes on random things, and I've spent this past week hunkered down working on the next few chapters. 

I know its been a little over a month since the last update-- sorry-- but I think you guys are going to find that it was totally worth the wait (well at least, I think it was). 

Enjoy!

~~~

Percy knew he wouldn't be the one to ultimately kill Voldemort, but no one ever said he couldn't bring Voldemort to the brink of death, well except... Percy shook his head. 

He would rather die than see any more of his friends go through pain.

~~~

"How could you be so stupid?" Draco lectured Percy in the Forbidden Forest.

"You're one to talk!" Percy fired back. His brilliant plan of running away to his death in the middle of the night was ruined when Draco caught him walking towards the forest. 

"Me?" Malfoy replied incredulously.

"Yeah, aren't you supposed to be somewhere? Other than here?"

Draco stared at Percy. "You do know that I'm on your side... right?"

The demigod groaned, "Yes! But if you're still 'with' them, what on earth are you doing here?"

"I'm doing exactly what I was told to do."

Percy had a retort ready, but his response faltered. A confused expression spread across his face. "What?"

"You- Know- Who wants me to keep an eye on you. He told Snape the same thing. He ordered me to bring you to him," Draco explained. 

"Great."

It was then Draco's turn to be confused. "Was that... sarcasm?" He asked.

"No."

Draco continued staring at Percy, unsure of how to proceed. He promised Annabeth that he was on their side, and part of that, was helping her where he could. But instead, here he was, telling her fiancé that he was tasked with delivering him to Voldemort.

Draco wondered what would happen. Did this count as breaking his vow on the River Sticks? (He was still unsure of why such an important river would be named after skinny pieces of wood). 

"Look," Percy continued, somehow knowing what Draco was thinking, "Just tell me where to go, and then you can get back to Hogwarts or whatever it is that you do."

"I can't," Draco suddenly said. Percy looked as shocked as Draco felt at his response.

"What? You just said-"

"I know. I promised Annabeth that I would help you guys win the war. Helping you guys is making sure you get nowhere near You- Know- Who."

"I can't believe I'm hearing this," Percy said.

Draco sighed, stepping closer to Percy. They were a foot apart at the most. "I can't let you go to him. I heard the prophecy, Percy. It's not your fight."

"Why does everyone keep telling me that?" Percy yelled. "Dumbledore is the one who got me involved in the first place. As dense as Harry is, between him, Hermione, and Ron... they would've figured this out all on their own. The only reason I'm actually here is because Dumbledore was scared that I would turn to Voldemort's side and-"

"And the prophecy," Draco interrupted, causing Percy's face to frown.

"You know what Voldemort's done?" Percy continued. "You know what he's doing? What he'll do the second he finds out you betrayed him? He'll kill you, Draco. He'll kill Harry, and everyone else we care about. He'll kill Annabeth. I can't let him do that."

"You think I don"t know that? And so what?" Draco through up his arms in frustration. "You're just going to waltz right in there and kill him? He can't die! Not unless the horcruxes are destroyed," Draco took a deep breath, and continued, this time quieter, almost pleading, "You know that."

Percy gave a dry laugh. "What are you now, my new conscience?"

"If it keeps Annabeth from killing me- then yes," Draco answered.

Percy closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. "She can be pretty scary?"

"Bloody terrifying that one is."

Percy hung his head. "Maybe you're right."

"I know I am." Draco shivered. "Now can we please go back into Hogwarts? It's freezing out here."

"No."

"Oh come on," Draco whined, "Why not?"

"I have something to do."

"Now don't we all," Draco groaned. "All right then- out with it."

"I'm going to kill Voldemort," Percy deadpanned.

Draco's eyes widened. "I thought we just discussed this! You're not going to kill him Percy- you can't..."

Percy stared off into the forest ignoring the rest of Draco's lecture. The demigod turned to the wizard and looked him dead in the eyes. "Look. You can either come with me or head back. I won't stop you either way. But I'm going to finish this."

"You're going to get yourself killed."

"To be honest Draco, I can't see it any either way."

~~~

*cough* chapter 7 *cough*