Author's Note

Just to smack y'all in the feels... I've been on TikTok and I heard the song "As the World Caves In" by Matt Maltese.

While listening to the chorus of it, all I could think about was that that's how Percy would have felt realizing Annabeth was dead.

So then I played that song from the beginning, re-reading Chapter 21 Percy's POV, and Chapter 22 Percy's POV, and dang did that smack me.

Anyways, I put together both parts so if you want, you can re- read it while listening to the song, and see if you feel the same way (totally up to you).

If you don't want to read the whole thing, I recommend timing the chorus so you hear it while starting at "Percy finally broke..."

~~~

Percy cannonballed into the middle of the lake.

"Oh Fleecy do me a solid, show me Chiron at Camp Half- Blood."

Within seconds, Chiron's concerned face materialized in the underwater rainbow mist.

"Percy? What's wrong?"

"I- I heard her, Chiron. Annabeth. I heard her. She's alive."

Chiron's eyebrows furrowed. "How...?"

"I was in the library looking for something and then I heard her call me a 'Seaweed Brain'. She's alive Chiron and I need a way to figure out how to find her."

"Did any other student in the library hear her as well?"

Percy stared at Chiron, his heart slowly sinking in his chest at what his mentor was implying. "Well, no, but..."

"My boy, is it possible you've imagined Annabeth's voice?"

"No. No, Chiron. I heard her. It was her. She was there..." Percy's voice cracked. "It was so real."

Chiron nodded sympathetically. "I know. But by now, the likelihood that Annabeth is gone, is higher than the possibility of her being alive."

Tears streamed down Percy's face as he silently began to accept what Chiron was telling him.

"I am terribly sorry Percy."

Percy swiped through the Iris Message without another word. Chiron sighed and began to make arrangements for Annabeth's funeral, now that Percy was beginning to accept her passing.

Percy finally broke, believing Chiron. He sobbed and his whole body shook. Percy couldn't stop. Annabeth... she was gone. The thought made his chest heavy and his throat tight... Percy couldn't breathe. He gasped in between sobs. His Wise Girl... was gone.

Percy was alone. He shivered in the middle of the lake. It was dark. He was cold. After what felt like a lifetime, Percy's tears slowed. He sniffled. He rubbed the remaining tears off his cheek. He was tired, and he wanted to go to sleep and never wake up.

Percy's whole world crumbled.

~~~

Percy didn't know when he stopped crying. The lake was bright so it didn't take a genius to figure out that it was the afternoon. Percy's head pounded and his eyes were heavy. Percy didn't remember sleeping... but he didn't remember being awake either.

Percy looked down at his feet to see sea creatures keeping him company. There was a pile of odd rocks, seaweed, and shiny items next to him. Percy gave a sad smile. An ocean funeral. Percy mumbled a 'thank you' to the surrounding animals.

Percy controlled the water to push him towards the surface of the lake.

Percy squinted when he reached the top; it was bright. Quiet. Too warm for early October. He swam towards the coast, and slowly walked out onto the small beach.

Percy was dripping wet. Cold. He didn't care.

Percy stood on the strip of sand blankly staring at Hogwarts. He shivered.

Percy was wet and cold. He didn't bother using his son of Poseidon powers to dry himself off. The demigod didn't believe that he deserved to be comfortable when Annabeth was dead.

Percy took a shaky breath and glanced at his watch. 12:30 pm. Lunch. He missed breakfast and two of his classes. Percy willed his feet to walk towards Hogwarts.

His feet were heavy. His head was pounding. All Percy could hear was static around him. White noise drowning out concerned teachers and questioning students.

Percy dragged himself towards Hogwarts. He stumbled into the school and without thinking, headed straight for McGonagall's office, leaving a trail of lake water behind him.

Students whispered in the halls, as most would do upon seeing a soaking wet wizard trudge through the corridors. Percy ignored them.

Percy came to a stop in front of Professor McGonagall's door. His hands were frozen at his sides. He couldn't knock. Percy stood there absent-mindedly fingering Riptide in his pocket.

Percy jumped when the door opened. Gazing up from the ground he looked into McGonagall's furious eyes.

The professor's gaze softened when she saw the state he was in. "Percy?" Minerva questioned carefully.

Percy didn't reply. His mind was blank. It was the only way to keep her out of it.

"Percy?" Professor McGonagall said again. She studied the soaking wet demigod. Hesitantly she asked, "Are you alright?"

Percy didn't answer. He couldn't bring himself to answer McGonagall's question.

Carefully, Professor McGonagall guided Percy into her office, and quietly closed the door behind him. She slowly brought him over to the couch, and sat him down.

Percy sat silently on the couch, still as one of Medusa's victims.

McGonagall silently waved her wand and Percy became dry.

"Percy, what happened?" Needless to say Minerva was confused. She thought one of his abilities was staying dry when wet. Not to mention, he missed breakfast and two classes. None of his fellow classmates have heard from him since the night before. McGonagall worried about what could have happened in the past 12 hours.

Percy drew in a shaky breath and attempted to recount that night's events. "She's gone... Professor; Annabeth, she-" Percy's voice cracked. "She's gone."