Chapter 37: Silver Rings

Noticing the lack of argument, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, turned to look at the couple, only to see them gripping onto each other, pale faced, seemingly frozen in terror.

~~~

"Percy... Annabeth?" Hermione quietly asked. "Are you okay?" Harry, Ron, and Hermione stared at them concerned.

Almost as if they snapped out of a trance, Annabeth mutely nodded. Tears pricked both demigods' eyes.

"What was that?" Harry asked. Hermione smacked him on the arm at his bluntness. Harry mumbled an apology. 

"Nothing." Percy said. At his tone, the trio picked up that him and Annabeth didn't want to talk about it.

"Oh okay."

The group sat in silence listening to the rain.

Annabeth quietly stood up, offering her hand to Percy which he took wordlessly. "We're um, we're gonna call it a night."

"Yeah, we'll see you guys tomorrow. We can talk more about the prophecy then." Percy said.

Ron nodded. "Good night."

Percy gave a weak, tired smile. "Night."

With that, Percy and Annabeth walked towards their room, and silently shut the door. 

~~~

Percy groaned as he face planted the bed.

"It could be worse." Annabeth offered as she carefully sat down on the corner of the bed.

"Can it?" Percy asked hopelessly. "We haven't had any sleep for gods knows how long. I can't close my eyes without seeing death-"

"Death or Death?"

Percy made a face at Annabeth.

"It's a valid question. Considering we've seen both." Annabeth defended. 

"Not Tar- him." Percy said. Annabeth mutely nodded. "I just- I can't sleep. I can't fight another war, I just can't. We did our job, right? Fulfilled our part of the prophecy?"

"Percy..."

"I got you back, what's stopping us from going to Camp? New Rome? We could live there. We don't have to worry about monsters, or wars, or saving the world..."

"Percy, we can't..."

"Why not?" Percy snapped. He stared at Annabeth, eyes filled with desperation. Annabeth went to speak, only to quietly shut her mouth, wondering the same. "We did our part. Let's just go before one of us nearly dies- again."

"But do you really want to leave?" She said softly. "Would you be able to leave them, knowing that they can't fight Voldemort alone? Knowing that they could die without us here?"

Percy hung his head and sighed. "I just- I can't lose you again. I can't go through another war."

"I know." Annabeth rested her hand on Percy's arm. "Neither can I. But we both know the prophecy isn't over."

"Maybe for us it is."

"Wait, Percy..." Annabeth's eyes widened in realization. "You're actually thinking about leaving?"

"Would it be so bad?" Percy said. "You're my Wise Girl. I'm loyal to you, I always have been, and I always will be. You come first, always. I care about Ron, Hermione, and Harry, I do, I just- I care about you more."

Tears pricked Annabeth's eyes. "And I care about you too. I love you, Percy. And I wouldn't go into this blindly- you know that. If I knew there was a chance you or I could die-"

"You'd still take it."

"Well, yes. That's not the point." Annabeth replied flustered. 

Percy chuckled. "I know." Percy suddenly had an idea. "Annie... I love you."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "I... love you too? Percy, why are you- what are you doing? And don't call me Annie!" 

Percy stood up and began to aggressively rummage through his suitcase, muttering something about a box.

"Percy, you're throwing clothes everywhere. This room is a mess! What are you-" Annabeth gasped when Percy turned around. 

Percy Jackson was on one knee, holding a box with a silver ring. Annabeth covered her mouth, and nearly began to cry. 

"Annabeth, I know now isn't a great time, but, when is it ever? Will you marry me?"

Annabeth cried, violently nodding. In between sobs she said, "Yes."

Percy jumped up and hugged Annabeth, smiling broadly as he slid the ring onto her finger. "I love you, Wise Girl."

"Love you too, Seaweed Brain."

Both demigods smiled at each other, happiness illuminating their faces.

"My mom's going to kill you." Annabeth chuckled into Percy's shoulder. 

Percy grinned, still holding onto Annabeth. "She's going to have to get in line."

They pulled apart and continued to hold hands.

"How long have you had this ring?" Annabeth asked, admiring its simplicity. 

Percy scratched the back of his neck. "A couple years."

"Percy!" Annabeth smacked him on the arm. 

Percy chuckled. "What?" 

"You've had this ring with you for two years?"

"Well, yeah. I was gonna do it after the war- Leo helped me make it on the Argo II- but then you disappeared and well... yeah."

Annabeth stared at Percy, smiling. 

"What?"

"I had Leo make you a ring too, Seaweed Brain. I was going to propose to you after the war. I planned it out and everything."

Percy laughed. "Of course you did. Looks like I beat you to it though."

Annabeth shook her head, pulling out her camp necklace, where a ring was attached. 

"I wanted to wait until after this was over, so it would be perfect... but I guess now will do." Annabeth took her necklace, disconnecting the silver ring. 

"Percy Jackson, will you marry me?" Annabeth held out the ring.

If it was possible, Percy grinned even wider. "Yes." Annabeth slide the ring onto Percy's finger.

Both demigods stared at their matching silver rings. 

"I can't believe we both went to Leo and he somehow managed to hold it in." Annabeth said.

"Gods, yeah me too. You know, it now makes sense, cause when I went to ask Leo if he could make you a ring he got his evil grin. When I asked him about it, he said it was nothing... but it's probably cause you asked him already."

"Yeah, I guess so. See Seaweed Brain? I still beat you to it."

"But you didn't propose first."

"I had the idea first."

"No you didn't."

"I most surely did," Annabeth crossed her arms, smiling. "I got the ring first."

Percy held his hands up in mock surrender. "Okay, okay. You win."

Annabeth smirked. "I know." She kissed Percy on the cheek, which he quickly reciprocated.

"Now I can introduce you as my fiancé." 

"We should probably tell Chiron."

"And Harry, Ron, and Hermione."

Percy and Annabeth stared at each other, then in sync said, "But that can wait until tomorrow."