Chapter 34: Horror cruxes

But for Annabeth Chase, Daughter of Athena? This plan was perfect and foolproof. 

~~~

For the thousandth time that month, Percy, Ron, and Harry found themselves sitting at the round table hidden in a corner of the library, surrounded by piles and piles of books. 

Hermione rushed over to the table carrying a freakishly large book. Slamming it onto the table she excitedly whispered, "Did you know there are these things called horcruxes?" 

"Merlin's beard 'Mione! Where'd you find that thing?" Ron waved his hand in front of his nose to ward off the stench. Harry sneezed at the dust. 

"Back of the library. It was hidden in the restricted section. Someone did not want people to find this."

"Did it occur to you that they might've had a bloody good reason?" Ron exclaimed. Hermione shrugged. Harry sneezed again.

"I think I'm allergic."

"For the last time Harry, you're not allergic to books." Hermione reprimanded.

"Not the books, the dust."

Ignoring them, Percy frowned at the name. "Horror cruxes?" 

Hermione looked back at Percy, seemingly forgotten about the book. Her eyes widened when she realized what he asked. Excitedly she answered, "No. Hor- cruxes. They supposedly contain pieces of the owner's soul." Hermione smiled. 

Harry, Ron, and Percy gazed confusedly at her. Rolling her eyes, Hermione clarified, "The owner is immortal as long as the horcruxes exist. To kill the being, you have to destroy the horcruxes. The more horcruxes, the harder it is to kill the owner."

Percy began to understand what Hermione was getting at. "So you think Voldy has a few soul souvenirs laying around?" 

"Yes."

"Well then it looks like we found Quest A." The trio stared at Percy. "We find the horcruxes, destroy them- voila! Voldy's dead, and Annabeth's saved."

Percy turned to Hermione. "So. How do we find them?"

Hermione looked uncomfortable. "I don't know."

"That's a first." Ron mumbled.

Hermione shot him a glare. "The book says that the person connects themselves to objects that are personal to them."

"Great. So what's important to Mr. Voldemort?" Percy asked. Sarcastically, he started counting on his fingers. "Murder, death, power... should I go on?"

Ron stifled a laugh. 

"Those aren't objects Percy."

Percy threw his hands up in the air. "Well gee, Hermione, I didn't realize. I don't know the guy. He literally could've used anything!" Percy mimicked Voldemort, "When I was in the third grade, I saw this rock and it brought me tears of joy. Now, since I'm an all powerful murderous wizard, I'm gonna make that pebble my immortal souvenir." 

Hermione and Harry stared at Percy.

"I mean- he has a point." Ron said. "It could literally be anything. A rock, quill, water even. Who knows." Ron slumped into the back of his chair.

Harry sat up. "The diary."

Percy looked at him. "The what?"

"The diary. Tom Riddle's diary. When we destroyed it in the Chamber, it gave off a weird mist glow thing and a scream. That must've been a horcrux."