Chapter 57: Chaos

"Avada Kedavra!" A shot of bright green light hit Percy's chest, sending him flying backwards into the wooded clearing.

Seconds later, the only ones that remained in the woods were Annabeth, Nico, Will, Thalia, and Annabeth's dead fiancé. 

~~~

Annabeth screamed when Will couldn't feel Percy's pulse. Everything she had been feeling the past weeks, months, years... was let out. It was let out in a heartbreaking scream. 

Thalia stood off to the side, tears quietly running down her face.

Nico's face was buried into Will's chest, who was desperately trying to hold it together for his boyfriend. 

The air was still. It was quiet, and the only sound heard was Annabeth's sobs echoing through the air. 

The blanket of grief suffocated them on their walk back to Hogwarts. 

Annabeth's heart hurt.

She couldn't save him. She was too late.

She stared at Percy's body in Will's arms.

Annabeth didn't think it was possible, but her heart broke again. 

~~~

The first thing Percy saw was his mother. 

"I'm dead, aren't I?" He said, looking around at the vast sea of absolute nothingness. 

Sally Jackson walked towards Percy and hugged him. Wordlessly, Sally took his hand and pulled him from the empty white world. 

He was in the woods.

Surrounded by his friends and family. 

"Percy?" Hazel asked, tears in her eyes. "Oh my gods." She ran forward nearly running Percy over with the force of her hug. Beyond Hazel, Percy saw Jason, Frank, and Piper beaming with pride.

Seconds later, Percy felt a hand on his shoulder, looking up to see Paul's smiling face.

"We are so proud of you."

Sally continued smiling, looking at her boy.

"This- this isn't Elysium?" Percy stated, even though it came out as more of a question. "You- you guys, you're supposed to be in paradise. You- you all deserve that. Why are you... why are you here?"

Sally spoke. "This is your paradise, my dear. Surrounded by your loved ones. Could you ask for anything more?"

Tears streamed down Percy's face. "I'm not dead, am I?"

"That is up to you, Perseus." Turning around, Percy came face to face with Hecate. "Right now, you are experiencing the powers of the Resurrection Stone."

"The what?"

"The stone in your pocket." Percy reached into his front pocket and pulled out the rock. "It has the abilities to bring back the dead."

Percy stared at the rock in his hand, before looking up at Hecate. "So, I am dead?" He hated the flutter of hope in his heart. 

"Do you wish to be?"

~~~

Will placed Percy next to the lake.

"Annabeth! We did it" Hermione yelled from across the lawn. Her, Ron, and Harry ran up to them.

When they got closer, they slowed taking in the scene before them. Hermione's hand flew to her mouth, as she buried her face in Ron's chest, ignoring his tears that fell onto her face.