Chapter 20: Annabeth

Thank you all for the support! This chapter is short, but the story starts to pick up from here :)

~Kit

~~~

Percy's throat closed up. His chest tightened. He felt like crying. Percy would've sworn to the gods that he heard her voice. Annabeth's voice.

Maybe he's finally lost it. Percy knew it was a matter of time before he did.

~~~

Annabeth watched through the vision as Percy walked away, wiping vigorously at his cheeks.

"Percy!" Annabeth screamed in desperation, knowing full well that he wouldn't be able to hear her. She yanked at the chains attaching her ankles to the stone floor. 

"Why waste your strength?"

Annabeth turned her head and glowered at Voldemort. She didn't bother wiping the tears off her face. 

"You're a monster."

Voldemort cackled, causing Annabeth too shiver. She's faced titans and giants and somehow, somehow, this thing scared her more. 

"I frighten you?"

Annabeth glared harder. "Get. Out. Of. My. Head."

Voldemort only chuckled in response. "For a daughter of Athena, you aren't very wise, are you?"

Annabeth restrained the urge to punch him in his snake face. She knew he was trying to get under her skin. Annabeth hated the fact that it was working.

"Then again," Voldemort stood up from his "throne" and walked over to Annabeth in the center of the room. "You are wise enough not to tell me of Perseus' heritage."

Annabeth shuddered. The thought of him knowing who Percy's godly parent was made her want to throw up. It was bad enough Voldemort's been baiting Percy in his dreams. 

"Percy won't fall for it. He's smarter and stronger than you. He'll see the trap coming from miles away." Annabeth said. Like Hades she was going to let her Seaweed Brain fall for Voldemort's mind games.

"If only that were true, Ms. Chase." Annabeth glared at the dark wizard. "Perseus may be smart, but he is too loyal for his own good. After this evening, he'll be questioning every dream, every decision, every thought that's pertained to you." 

Voldemort slowly walked around Annabeth. Annabeth persisted in trying to free her tied hands from behind her back. 

"We both know how this will end, Annabeth." Voldemort paused, and bent down to Annabeth's level on the floor. "Perseus will come to rescue you, and then I will turn him to my side. Together we will be unstoppable; Harry Potter will be no match for us both."

"Percy would rather die than join you." Annabeth spat.

"You say that as if he'll have a choice." Voldemort stood up and walked back to his throne. "It's only a matter of time, Ms. Chase, before Perseus realizes the true weight of the prophecy."

Annabeth reluctantly looked up at Voldemort. "What prophecy?"

Voldemort's face contorted into a disturbing smile. "Ah, my dear, you haven't heard it?"

"Two half-bloods shall reunite them all,

Into realm of darkness one will fall.

To bring back from the myth and pain,

One will lose what the other will gain." Voldemort recited. 

Annabeth sat, her mind reeling through the potential meanings of the prophecy.

"The prophecy says that Perseus Jackson and Harry Potter will reunite my followers, and restore me to power. Perseus will fall into my realm, and I will rise to my full potential and win this war."

Annabeth stared in disbelief at Voldemort. That wasn't possible. Percy would never betray his friends and family. Especially not for something as cruel as Voldemort. Annabeth's mind raced for other meanings. Prophecies always had double meanings.

She would figure it out. Annabeth will warn Percy the second she figures it out. She didn't know how, especially since Voldemort kept an eye on her like a hawk, but she would. 

Annabeth's faced harder situations than being help captive by an evil wizard.