Hugo Told Me

My third night here and I can't sleep. Samantha was sending me texts about being there for me if I needed anything. I didn't need anything and I didn't want anyone's help. Roberto was going to more than enough to handle this summer. He was juggling therapy, modeling, and high school like it was nothing. How was I going to get him to free up his schedule to meet with me?

Look, I know I said I wouldn't help him, but I realized last night that he really did need help. Help from a friend. I doubt he was only pretending he had some disorder, but last night proved I was dead wrong. Roberto needs help and his best friend is here to help him out. Melinda was right, though I don't want to admit it to anyone.

Two weeks into my stay at Melinda's house, I found myself in a meeting with Roberto and his therapist. He was telling me about the progress he'd made with Roberto and his condition. I'd learned that he was having more and more amnestic episodes in the past week. I hadn't noticed, because he was always at work or he'd say he was going somewhere and wouldn't let me follow him. Maybe that's why I didn't notice.

"It's great that your girlfriend is agreeing to help you through this," Dr. Alexy said.

"I'm not his girlfriend," I said. "Just his best friend. Did he tell you I was his girlfriend?"

"He did. I believe it was Hugo who told me."

"Hugo? You believe...he has another personality and it's not him pretending?"

Dr. Alexy began shuffling through a stack of papers. I glared at Roberto. Did he really try to make me take on the role of his girlfriend? I don't care what condition he has right now. It's unfair to force me to become someone I don't want to be.

"Look here, I wasn't supposed to show you this, but Hugo said he would allow me to show you any of his information," he said. "It shows the results from his MRI scans after a bad fall during a vacation. The brain damage wasn't much, but it was enough to cause a change in him."

"What exactly happened?" I asked.

"He was traveling with his aunt and cousin. They stopped at a gas station and Roberto jumped in to help stop a robbery. They got away, but Roberto was shoved and hit his head on one of the shelves."

I shuddered at the thought of hitting my head. Maybe I should go easy on him. He needs me like I need oxygen. Maybe not that bad, but close enough. Ugh, this decision is going to be the most important one in my life. If I choose wrong, I could mess up my friendship. Or my life.

"Can't his aunt help him?"

"I wish she could. Hugo has made it clear that he won't listen to anyone, but you. And me whenever he wants something."

"Does it help the situation when you call him Hugo?" I asked. "I feel like it's only making Roberto feel like he can manipulate people when he does that."

"He's been checked out by a psychotherapist. She said there were definitely two distinct personalities. His own and Hugo. We're trying to figure out if he likes the name Hugo or if there's some connection with another Hugo."

"But--"

"Miss Dominguez, help me out here. It's hard helping Roberto. He gets distracted too easily to allow me to help him. He's getting out of control."

"Fine!" I groaned and pushed Roberto away from me. "Get off me before I beat you and make you yourself again."

Dr. Alexy raised his eyebrows in surprise. What? It's not like I was actually going to do it. I'm not stupid enough to hit someone who was bigger and stronger than me. Honestly, I would have hit him a long time ago if he had acted like this.

"I'm not going to do it for real," I said. "Does this mean I have to pretend to be his girlfriend?"

"If it helps Roberto, I suggest you do," he said. "I don't want to put you in this situation, but he told me he doesn't want anyone else. I don't want to go against his wishes and he ends up hurting someone else."

"He's hurt someone before?"

"...His cousin. That's why his aunt made him come to me in the first place. I trust you'll figure out what to do."

They wanted me to figure out what to do about Roberto and his alter ego? I can barely deal with him when he's himself. I seriously hate the position I'm being put in. I'm barely seventeen yet. There's really nothing I can do to help him since I'm not old enough to look at his files for myself. I'd probably have to sneak to find out more about him.

I asked Roberto to meet me in the kitchens. Hopefully that would keep him occupied while I try to see what I can get about him. Dr. Alexy seemed to know this and immediately handed me a few files when Roberto stepped out of sight. He leaned in close so as to not be overheard.

"Do not let him get ahold of these files," he warned. "The last thing I need is him coming after me for calling him a patient."

"I promise you he won't even know I have these. You already trust me to help him. I'll do my best to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone else." I pulled the files close. "I'll protect it with my life."

"...Not your life. That's a dangerous thing to say, Miss Dominguez. I wouldn't want him to hurt you as he hurt his cousin. I will take my leave now. Why don't you go hide the files in a safe place?"

"Of course. See you in two months."

Once Dr. Alexy was gone, I raced to Melinda's office and shoved the files in the top of her closet. I didn't want Roberto to think that my room was his playground. He would think twice about going into my cousins' rooms without permission. Even if he does find the files somewhere, I'll have an excuse for why I have them.

I met with Roberto in the kitchen and pretended everything was more than okay. He kept giving my sideways glances, but I wasn't going to tell him anything. Sarah offered to make us lunch. I didn't care to eat, but not eating would put Roberto on edge. He'd know I was wary of him.

"Roberto, I wanted to talk about what you told Dr. Alexy," I said.

"What did I tell him?" he asked.

"...You told him we were dating. I'm not exactly opposed to it, but I want to set some ground rules."

"Ground rules?"

"Yes. First off, no calling me pet names. My name is Ruby and will always be Ruby. Second, do not touch me without permission. I will break your arms if you do that. Third, I am my own person. You don't own me. I can hang with other guys if I want. You can hang with other girls. Lastly, if I feel like us dating is not helping your case, I will break up with you and don't bother coming by the house anymore."

"Those rules seem a bit extreme, don't you think?"

"You think that's extreme? I'll show you extreme."

Roberto grinned from ear to ear. There was nothing funny about that threat. I could have him put in jail if I wanted to. Honestly, guys are so annoying. I thought dating Marcus was a job itself. Now I have to deal with someone who thinks he has an alter ego.

God help us all.