Just A Father And Daughter

Dinner with Jordan was far more pleasant than I wanted it to be. I wanted to trust him, but I also didn't want to feel like I was being too gullible. He was telling me awesome things about his past college life, and I was finding myself very intrigued by it all. Why couldn't my life have been that easy? I guess being born into money isn't for everyone.

We ordered dessert and I was more than happy to point out that the scones were my favorite. It made me feel great when he said scones were a favorite of his. Was this fate? Or was he just agreeing with me to make me forget about him leaving my mother and I behind? Whatever it was, I was enjoying it.

"I guess you probably want to know a lot about what happened between your mom and I," Jordan said suddenly. I threw a look in Jade's direction. She was looking down at her phone, while her date was throwing pieces of napkin at her. Of course, she chooses the guy who acts like her. Typical.

"I'm sure she told you that she was pretty young when she got pregnant. I wanted to marry her, so we got engaged. What I didn't know was that her parents didn't like me. Not even after all I did to help them keep the house they're living in now. I would never hold that against them, but I wished they would have understood the situation when it happened. Five years went down the drain when I finally packed up and left.

Then...there was that little accident. I didn't think you'd forget your brother and I so easily. Julia didn't seem to care. She went along with it and pretended I was someone she used to know. I couldn't allow that to continue happening, so I stopped sending things and coming by when I had the time. I left the country and continued moving from country to country until I came back about five years ago."

"Does that mean you know what happened?" I mumbled. "About James..."

"Yes. Julia told me about it after the fact. Your recovery took longer than expected and you went to college as soon as you were cleared to live on your own." Jordan sighed. "I wish I could have done something about it, but I didn't want to reveal myself and you come at me for leaving."

"...You're married?"

"Mhm. It hasn't been long. It's just been a couple of years. She had her own kids from a previous marriage, so you're still my one and only biological daughter."

I got this feeling that someone was watching me. I looked over to see Jade and her date getting up from their seats. Jade spotted me looking and waved. I waved back and watched them leave. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe my mind wants me to believe I'm being watched, because Jordan is a government official. I rubbed the back of my neck and turned my attention back to Jordan.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concern written all over his face. I avoided eye contact and nodded. No, I was not okay. "I think you would love your step-siblings. Unless you like being an only child."

"But I know I'm not."

"Not wha--Oh."

The waitress came just in time. She set down two pans of scones and lingered far longer than she should have. I get that Jordan was handsome, but it didn't mean she could gawk openly at him. I cleared my throat. She only blushed and rushed away. There's no way he had that effect on all the women here. I looked around and sure enough most of the women were staring at him. Honestly, he's not even hot. He's my freaking dad!

"Huckleberry and lemon." I pointed to each of them in turn. "I especially like huckleberry. It reminds me of the time someone bought me two boxes for my eleventh birthday. They were really delicious that day."

"That was me." Jordan ducked his head. Aww.

"Well, thank you. Honestly, it was the best day of my life. Try the lemon one."