Tell Me More

"I guess I have to thank you for having the rooms soundproofed," I muttered. "Not really something I should thank you over, but...yeah."

"Well, they're partially soundproof. Lucky for you, Lucas's room isn't too close to yours."

"Look, I made a mistake when I dated Roberto and another when he got me pregnant and I decided to keep the baby. If Lucas finds out about all this...he'll kill me."

"He won't. NeNe said he won't, so he won't. We promise to keep this under wraps. What he doesn't know won't kill him."

"Besides, the worst he could do is kill Roberto and break up with you."

We grew silent and people watched for a couple of minutes. Melinda walked off to get her fiancé I had yet to meet officially. After only seeing him a couple of times, but never speaking to him, it's about time I asked what he wanted with my cousin. I can say the same thing is going to happen to Lucas tonight. Melinda will probably want to know his plans with me. Although, I'm sure he's going to talk about marriage and not what he wants his future to look like.

"I can tell you care about Lucas way too much to be blinded by the lies Roberto must have told you last night," Renée started. "Even though you've made so many mistakes when I last saw you, I think you're an amazing person. I can tell why you're Linda's favorite."

"I'm her favorite?"

"Stop playing with me. I know you knew that."

"...Of course, I did. I was just joking."

We were quiet again. Renée didn't seem to really be people watching anymore. She kept glancing down at her phone and staring at the grass when she wasn't. I really wanted to ask her what was on her mind, but it's already enough that she has a cousin who just cheated on her boyfriend with her crazy ex. I don't think I should be worrying about anyone at this point.

"Hey...I heard you had a boyfriend. Care to tell me about him?" I asked.

"Oh, you're in for a treat. He and Lin's fiancé are coming over here now." NeNe pointed behind me. I turned around to see two tall guys making their way over to us. Lin wasn't too far behind them. I could see she was on the phone. "Be right back."

Renée got up and ran off before I could say anything. I watched as she jumped into the long-haired guy's arms. He caught her and stopped walking. Ugh, I'd give anything to have Lucas do that to me. The other guy caught my eye and nodded at me. I smiled and ducked my head. Maybe I should have stayed here and married someone.

But who gets married nowadays? Everyone's hyped about getting boyfriends and having kids, but never tying the knot. I'd love to get married, but I feel that my taste in men hinders me from thinking of a happily ever after with one guy. Does that make me a whore? I don't think so. People like what they like, I guess. Maybe it just makes me a bit unapproachable.

"You must be the beautiful Ruby?"

I looked up into another pair of brown eyes.

"And you must be the mysterious Mitch?"

"So...you've heard of me?" He laughed and sat down. "I guess Lin never disappoints with descriptions."

"I guess not. You finally...proposed?" I smiled.

"Yes, yes. Took forever. I didn't think she'd say yes. Since you're here, I thought we could plan everything together. Lin isn't the most helpful when it comes to things like this."

"She really isn't. That's why Renée is planning my party this year. Being a hospital director does a lot to people who put their all into it."

"Even her père can't get her to let everything fall into place."