No Closure

I found myself staring into the eyes of my ex-boyfriend with no way of telling him I wasn't about to tell him why we broke up. It wasn't due to the attempted murder, nor him forcing me into a relationship with him. I just didn't want to deal with his BS anymore. I mean, sometimes he was a nice guy, but his mood swings were something else.

"Are you just going to stare at me?" he asked.

"No," I said almost immediately.

"Then, what? I can tell you don't want to talk to me, but there's a lot that I need to say."

"Need to or want to?"

"Does it matter? You left me without our child and you don't want me to say anything to you? I want an explanation. I deserve closure."

"No, you don't." I crossed my arms and sighed. "Roberto, I want you to suffer. That's why I'm refusing to tell you why we broke up and why you'll never meet your child. Did you really have to pick today to come talk to me? You could have come in the morning. Or like...never."

"Do you hate me?"

To be honest, I wanted to kill him. Why was he even shoving himself into my life? I wasn't trying to make amends with him. I wanted him gone.

"I don't hate you. I just don't like you."

"Hey, Ruby, someone's calling." Renée held up my phone. "Want me to answer it?"

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Novio."

Oh. I smiled and nodded. She could say all she wanted to Lucas, but I wasn't about to let Roberto know that I was with him. Not now. He was known to have a bad temper, and him finding out I'm dating the guy I swore up and down I didn't like isn't going to make my vacation any better. Roberto was going to have to deal with a lot once he found out everything. I guess Hugo is going to have to stop him from doing anything he'll regret.

"Yeah, um, I have to go. Dinner and a friend." I stood up. "Maybe you can act like a normal human being and come in the morning. I'm sure you'll have had time to think about why this is wrong in so many ways."

"Wha--" Roberto's mouth dropped open. "You can't--"

"I can and I already did."

I sauntered out of the living room with a smile on my face. Not everyone will be under his spell forever. He may have my cousins believing it was a normal break up, but he can't convince me he didn't mean to hurt me. There's a lot I can use against him if he tries anything. Trust me, I'll do anything to make sure he ends up behind bars if it comes to that.

"Hey, Lucas," I said. "I made it safely, so you don't have to worry about me."

"I wasn't worried about you making it there safely," he said. "I'm more worried about who's in the house with you."

"...Are you really going to go there? I'm twenty-five. I'm not stupid."

"I didn't say you were, I just don't...feel right with him there. If your cousins are wary of him, I should be, too."

"Don't be. I promise he isn't going to try anything on me. My birthday is in two weeks, you'll see me then. Plus, we'll be together all the time."

"I can't wait that long," Lucas whined. "I'm already missing you."

"Ugh, Lucas, I promise you I'll try to enjoy this vacation and stay safe. You don't have to worry about me. You should be worried about yourself," I said. "Look after my mother for me."

"She's fine. Martin--"

"I didn't ask how she was, I said look after her. And yourself. I don't have time for you starving yourself again."