Lost Cause

Marcelo:

"Mamma?" I spoke into the phone just a couple of minutes before I found out the horrific news

"Marcelo, my sweet boy."

She sounded like she had been crying for hours.

"Mamma, what's the matter?"

"I'm so sorry Marcelo. I know your busy with Anastasia but my love. Something so terrible has happened."

"What?"

I was starting to become a little worried.

"Selene's body was found floating across the river under the highway bridge, just this morning and Marcelo..."

She stopped and I heard her sniffing. I haven't seen nor heard my mom cry in years.

"Mamma, what happened!?"

**************

"Diego's dead baby? Is that what you're telling me?"

Anastasia grabbed my head forcing me to look at her I saw her, I did but my mind was far away. After all those things he's done to me. All those things he said. The things he's done for me... have now suddenly vanished in a blink of an eye.

"Diosa... he murdered my father."

A hurtful, shocked smile tore through my face as one single tear drop fell from my eye.

"Diego-... Miguel is dead are you sure papi?

Anastasia was just as shocked as I was but I wanted revenge more than I wanted to grieve.

Of course I strongly disliked my father but I never wanted to see him die like this. At least not this way or in this predicament. I can only imagine the pain my mother is going through right now.

"Positive... look diosa I'm so sorry about tonight but the boat is turning around. I need to get home right now."

I removed her hands off my face and walked around her. Gathering my clothes I threw them back on quickly.

"Marcelo, there is no reason why you should be sorry. Baby are you okay?"

I only nodded my head, throwing my tie over it.

"Mar I-"

"Diosa, I'm gonna take you and my mom to my hideout in Brazil okay? I don't want you nowhere near Mexico right now-"

"And where are you gonna be?" She crossed her arms

"Im gonna be putting the son of a bitch to rest. Which is something I should've done a long time ago."

"But I-"

"Look, I already know what you're about to say Ana but you cannot change my mind. Nor will you come with me. Do not think for one second this is up for debate because you will do as I say and wait for me
to come get you. Do you understand me?"

She sighed in defeat and nodded her head.

I finished tying my shoelaces and walked up to her. Lifting her chin so that she could look at me. I stared down into her big beautiful brown eyes. They were filled with so much worry.

"Don't think I'm being mean to you diosa. I'm just protecting my family. Believe me when I say, I will do any and everything in my power to protect you. To do anything that makes you happy because I love you. Goddess I cannot afford to lose you too. So please, let me hear you say it."

"Yes sir... I understand."

She bit down on her lip as a tear fell from her eye. I bent down and kissed it away before softly kissing her lips.