𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗

3rd POV

The group walked into the city. Colorful banners hung between buildings and the royal family's flag swayed in the wind. Crowds of people gathered around, perfect for the Levi Squad to blend in.

"Don't walk in a cluster. We'll stand out. Eren and Historia, just walk normally." Levi said, leading the group through the crowd. At the end of the group walked Eren and Historia. The two wearing regular clothing compared to the others who hid their uniforms under their cloaks.

Next to Mikasa was Y/n, the girl wearing her hood over her head. She was back to playing dead, something she didn't want to do anymore.

"Why is the royal family's flag hanging everywhere?" Connie asked, taking a look around the colorful city.

"Oh! Today must be the anniversary of the King's coronation." Sasha realized, her head peeking past her shoulder to look at her friend. "Once a year, they hand out a haul of rations." She told him, and just when she did, a man yelled out the start of handing out rations.

Upon a podium stood two officers of the Military Police. Behind them were large flags of the Royal family. "King Fritz has heard of Trost District's hardship and will donate the royal family's reserves!" One of them announced. The people gawked at hearing him. "There's enough for everyone! Line up orderly!" They said. Immediately, the people began to cheer.

"Long live King Fritz!"

"Thank goodness!"

"What a King! He sure is generous!" Sasha said, amazed at what the King was doing for his people. "He's got more than he knows what to do with," Levi said. Y/n rolled her eyes, glaring at the flag of the royal family.

"If he cared about his people then he wouldn't be locked up in his castle all the time. The people haven't even seen him except for in the papers." She muttered loud enough for the group to hear. That's right, they had forgotten Y/n's dislike for the Military Police and King. Even when they cracked jokes that she could get beheaded for her opinion, she wouldn't let go of them.

"We should leave," Levi said, beginning to walk off with the teens following behind him again. In the crowd of people, one man gazed at them as they left. Making sure of which direction they went, the man left.

-

In the capital of Mitras, a group of men gathered at the King's throne room. Five men stood in front of the King, all of them facing each other as they discussed the actions the King made. A lone officer standing off to the side while listening in.

"By handing out those rations, over 60% of the reserves are gone. Don't you think it's a bit too much for raising the people's morale, Lord Reiss?" One of the three men asked. It was obvious they were all lords or high members of the King's court. They wore expensive jewelry and lavish clothing, except for one who appeared rather humble in appearance.

"It's necessary. There was a need to raise the public's approval of the royal family." Lord Reiss, the humble one, answered. "More importantly, we need that power and the vessel. And we must hurry." He said.

Another man from the five, one who wore a ceremony uniform from the military, looked over to the officer. "The Military Police failed again?" He asked.

"I'll return and continue the hunt at once." The officer said, it was Djel Sannes.

"No, we'll soon have what we need. That is set in motion." Lord Reiss said, the others looked at him while he looked over at the King. The white-haired man sitting at his throne and watching the men with bored eyes.

-

In the marketplace, the squad continued to walk around. Y/n couldn't help but feel uneasy about the nonexistent pain in her gut. She had gotten so used to feeling the light pain and for it to transform into something she couldn't handle when put in danger. Y/n would even subconsciously touch her abdomen.