𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟐

3rd POV

  Eren carried the boulder down a path that led him directly to the hole in Trost City. Soldiers and Cadets ran through the city, ordered to protect Eren from the titans. "Defend him at all costs! Protect Eren until he reaches the gate, even if it costs you your life! Don't let any of the titans near him!" Ian shouted.

Many buildings away from the battle for humanity, Reiner and Bertholdt watched the climax unfold. "They're going to plug the hole with that? It's insane...Eren might end up getting eaten. And if that happens, we still won't know a thing." Bertholdt expressed his worries.

"Yeah...If it comes to it, I'll have to do something with my titan somehow." Reiner told him. Suddenly, the world around them flashed with a bright yellow light, a sound like thunder ripping through the sky. The two looked over, seeing Y/n's titan standing in the city. Bertholdt shuddered. "They...They can actually make their plan work...All that work just for them to plug it up." He gasped.

Reiner shook his head, "It doesn't matter. We've been searching for a clue these past five years and we finally found it."

"Hey..." The two flinched at the sound of a voice. "You guys? What...were you just talking about?" Marco asked, when the two turned to look at him, he glanced between them. "What did you mean by 'my titan', Reiner? What's this about 'All that work', Bertholdt?" He asked them. Reiner and Bertholdt stared at him in a cold sweat. They had to think fast...

"Marco..." Reiner mumbled. "That conversation just now...was a joke." He said.

The freckled boy didn't find it amusing and his lips curved into a pained smile. "H-Have you guys lost it? This isn't like you! Focus on the mission!" He stuttered- pointing his blade toward their mission. "Look, the titans are coming! Let's go!" He yelled before leaping off the building. When he flew past the building he gazed at the two from the corner of his eye.

'Eren and Y/n transformed into a titan...Humans can become titans...So if the Colossal Titan appeared out of nowhere and suddenly vanished...it's probably a human, too.' He landed on a roof and collected his thoughts. 'In other words, the enemy titans are hiding as humans somewhere. That means...'

The sound of maneuvering gear was heard behind him. Marco turned his gaze and saw Reiner flying straight at him— within a split second he crashed against him and the two fell to a roof below. Marco lay hopelessly on the floor struggling under the weight of Reiner as he pulled Marco's arms behind his back. "R-Reiner! What are you doing?!" Marco yelled out confused. Behind the two stood Bertholdt. "This is a joke, right?!" Marco asked, managing to catch a glimpse of Reiner.

The look on Reiner's face..."No, Marco..." he started, his voice deep and dark, it almost didn't sound like him if it wasn't for Marco making direct eye contact with him. "The problem is you're too damn sharp." Reiner spat in venom. Marco widened his eyes and tried to scream for help until Reiner covered his mouth. And right then a pair of feet landed in front of them.

Annie. She breathed heavily, sweat covering her skin, she came over in a rush after hearing yells. The blonde expected to see a deceased soldier as the screaming came to an end but instead, she saw Reiner pinning Marco to the floor, Bertholdt standing behind not lifting a finger to aid. Marco, at seeing Annie, felt a wave of relief and yelled out to her the moment Reiner removed his hand.

"Annie! Help me out!"

"What's this all about?" She muttered out of breath.

"Reiner's acting crazy! Help me!" Marco begged. Reiner turned to Annie and gave his explanation.