𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟕

Reader's POV

I ran through the mud with heavy footsteps and tried not to slip and fall into the muddy mess below me. Watching the person in front of me as they easily ran in the mud with a heavy backpack. At times looking back at me so he could mock me in his glory...His glory of pure muscle.

"I swear if you look back at me one more time I'll beat that smirk off your face, Reiner!"

Barking at him I gripped the straps of the heavy package in anger. Reiner and I might be friends but he sure did piss me off often. His cockiness was truly annoying but he was a good guy who made the perfect male friend...semi-perfect. He was a bit of a pervert.

Hearing his deep laughter over the rain I rolled my eyes and began to pick up my pace. Trying to make it to where Reiner was.

"Alright, alright! I wouldn't want to be slammed onto the floor again...for a skinny looking girl you sure do pack muscles." Smiling down at me once I caught up to him I could tell that he was remembering our accident.

Around a year ago Reiner and I paired up for hand-to-hand combat. Challenging me in a fight which he thought he was going to win since he weighed much more than I did and had more muscle. However, the fight ended up with him on the ground unconscious, and me out of breath. I had picked him up with all my strength and threw him down onto the hard ground, his head making impact first which knocked him out.

"Reiner that happened a year ago! You should realize that I can do worse now~" Teasing him I bumped his side with my elbow, giving him a smug smile. Only for him to ignore me, his attention being on something behind us.

Turning to look at what he was looking at I gasped. Armin! Crap- There Armin was barely running far behind us. He seemed completely out of it, he was gasping for air and about to trip with every step he took. Right away I felt guilty for leaving behind Armin.

I stopped running and waited for Armin to catch up with me. And surprisingly Reiner as well. He waited alongside me as Armin tiredly jogged to us.

"Armin. I'm so sorry- I didn't realize..." Lifting my hand I scratched the back of my head, closing my eyes to give Armin an apologetic smile. I hope Armin doesn't see himself as a burden, while he was the brains and pretty much the smartest. He lacked a lot in the physical tests and programs, while Mikasa, Eren, and I well in those programs.

"Here. Focus on standing upright. You know we're being graded on this, right?" Reiner said, grabbing ahold of Armin's bag and easily threw it over his shoulder. Just from the weight being lifted off him, Armin's posture became better. I smiled and went to pull up Armin's hood, as it was beginning to slide off his head.

"Thanks, guys, but won't they demerit you for helping?" Armin began thanking Reiner and me for aiding him, but his gaze went to Reiner, worried about him getting in trouble. Looking up ahead of us I saw Sadies who rode his horse.

"Don't worry, Armin. It's only if they find out about it." I laughed and brought a finger up to my lips in a shushing gesture. Smiling while doing so, hearing Reiner laugh as well.

Suddenly I saw Armin go and snatch his pack of gear from Reiner, throwing it over his back, and began running. Passing us and went to catch up with the others. I smiled at how determined he was to show people what he was made of.

-

Gripping my blades tighter I came closer to a titan at high speed. And within a swift moment, I sliced deep into the nape of the fake titan dummy. Smirking to myself I looked back to see my work...only to see that I gave it a shallow cut rather than the deep-sharp one I believed I had done. My smirk disappeared quickly from my face as I rested myself against a tree.