𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟔

3rd POV

  The last he could truly remember was Mikasa pushing him further behind the building they took shelter in. The insane winds blew everything around them away as Bertholdt transformed. But now—as he opened his eyes and stood up he saw the Colossal Titan stare down at him with half of his face exposing his skull.

It was an eerie sight. Tears suddenly poured out of its singular eye while the echoing voice of Bertholdt whispered in pain.

-

Awaking into reality Armin called out Bertholdt's name. Confused about what he had seen.

"It hurts..."

Widening his eyes he heard the same phrase he had in his dream. Quick to turn his head in the direction of the cry. Only to spot Sasha laying beside him on a cushion just like him.

"It hurts so bad..." she groaned. Armin widened his eyes and leaned over to inspect Sasha closer after seeing her covered in bandages. "You're in terrible shape...What happened...?" He pushed back his blanket and sat closer to her.

"Armin!"

A voice yelled his name and he dropped the blanket to see Eren sprinting at him. He slowed his pace for a second to see Armin clearer, to make sure that he was really awake and fine. And when he was sure of it, he picked up the pace with a frown to keep in his tears.

Much to Armin's surprise Eren wrapped his arms around him and embraced him tightly. It was even more confusing when Eren began to shake and gasp in his breaths.

"I'm glad...you're back!"

"Huh?" Armin uttered. Beginning to hear his best friend sob quietly. He was unsure if he should return the embrace, he found himself too lost in thought to figure out if he should or shouldn't. It wouldn't matter as the zip of maneuvering gear neared them with the landing of a Levi.

"You're up?" Levi asked— approaching them.

"Captain!" Armin gasped. When Eren finally let go of him he looked up at the Captain and noticed the tired look in his eyes. "What in the world happened here? I remember...Bertholdt becoming a titan..." he said. That's when he remembered the wide range of Bertholdt's transformation. "What about the others?! Are they okay?!" He asked. Although he worried, he hadn't seemed to realize he had no shirt. Only a Scout Regiment jacket suited over his bare chest.

"That's as far back as you remember?" Levi raised his brow and pulled out a signal gun. "Eren, tell him everything." Armin became even more confused, looking at his friend to see a glum expression. Levi pressed the trigger and shot out a green flare to call in the others within the city.

-

He was frozen in place unable to sink in what he was just told. "Well? Up to speed, Armin?" Levi asked. The young boy blinked hard before he lowered his gaze. Around either stood or sat his friends, Eren, Y/n, and Mikasa sitting the closest.

"Are you telling me...the Scout Regiment...is the ten of us here...and that's it?"

"For the time being," Jean answered. "The fighting ended four hours ago," he started to explain. Next to him, Connie stood from his seat and went over to Sasha, gently pouring water into her mouth. "We've been looking for survivors, but...none yet..."

Armin began to sweat, "S-So, we managed to seal the walls of Shiganshina...But Reiner, the Beast Titan, and one other escaped...Bertholdt was captured...Then...there was a dispute...about using the injection on Commander Erwin or me...And I...turned into a titan and ate B-Bertholdt..." he stuttered. Y/n frowned when she began to notice him shake, his lips trembling until his cheeks puffed out as he held back his vomit.