𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎

3rd POV

  "I was born on a small farm in the northern region of Wall Rose. It was on land owned by the noble Reiss family." Historia began, recalling her dreadful childhood.

A young Historia trotted up a hill, carrying hay in her small arms. Her blonde hair is tied to a low ponytail with strands sticking out.

"As far back as I can remember, I was helping around the farm."

Then she carried a bucket full of water, having to use both hands to carry its weight. As she walked, someone caught her attention. It was a lone woman who sat under a tree whilst reading a book. Historia's mother...

"But, my mother was always reading books, and not once did I see her doing housework. She was a beautiful woman."

In the dark of night, Historia looked out the window of the house. Watching her mother leave in nice clothing.

"At night, someone would come for her in a wagon...and she'd go off to the city wearing fancy clothes. For me, that was just life as I knew it."

Once the wagon rode off, Historia brought her eyes to the book beside her.

"After I learned to read and write, I picked up a book to imitate my mother. Only then did I know how alone I was."

She opened to a page depicting a mother and child in a drawing. The mother holding her baby close to her chest in a hug.

"In all the books, parents cared about their children. They talked, hugged, fought...or so the stories went. I had never experienced any of those things. My grandparents would speak to me when they taught me how to work, but I had never spoken to my mother."

Historia looked over at the old couple. Their backs faced her, refusing to speak with her unless it was needed. Then Historia noticed the children on the other side of a fence.

"I also noticed that the other children could walk around freely, and that they'd play with other kids their age."

She smiled at them, wanting to be friends. But she quickly ran away, covering her head with her hands to protect herself.

"To me, other children were dangerous. They'd throw rocks at me. Needless to say, I never left the farm."

Watching her mother from afar, Historia prepared herself.

"One day, out of curiosity, I decided to try hugging my mother."

A nervous smile spread on her soft features.

"I wanted to see what kind of face she would make."

Running over, she leaped onto her mother's lap, calling the woman's name. "Mother!" Alma was her name. When seeing what Historia had done, Alma grabbed her by the face and aggressively shoved Historia off of herself. A look of disgust on her.

Historia rolled on the ground, covering her nose with her hand as it began to bleed.

"She ended up shoving me away, but that was the first thing my mother ever did to me."

Removing her hand, Historia smiled at Alma. Pure joy ran through the young girl.

"That's why it made me so happy."

Alma stood up, wiping the tears in her eyes. "If only I had the courage...to kill the girl..." She said to the girl, turning on her heel and walking away.

"Those were...the first words my mother said to me. After that, my mother left the house and began living somewhere else."

She sat alone at a table. Her grandparents sitting in the furthest spot from her. She didn't touch her food.