61. Barn Mates

Peridot is seen talking into her tape recorder into the barn, while Lapis, Y/n and Steven watch on next to her.

"And then I'll say, 'Hey, as one refugee to another, it isn't so bad that we can't go back to Homeworld, am I right? Why don't we watch the sun come up and figure out what we're going to do with all this time, eh Lazuli?' And then she'll say, 'Yes Peridot, as impressed I was by you on the ship, I am even more impressed with your new compact look and capacity for friendship! I'm so glad we're going to live together!' Peridot, Facet 5." Peridot stops recording and casually turns to Lapis. "Let's begin."

"... This isn't gonna work." Lapis says unimpressed.

"Wait, what?" Peridot asks shocked.

"I really thought I would be living alone here. With Y/n." Lapis says looking to him.

"Yeah...I...don't live here..." Y/n says.

"Where do you live then?" Lapis asks. 

"I live in a house in the residential part of Beach City, But I'm sorry Lapis you can't live with me, It's not my house to make that decision, that belong with my dad. Secondly he still needs to meet the gems properly anyway. I also think you'd have much more room and space in the barn then mine my dad's place anyway." Y/n says. 

"Yeah, this is even better!" Steven says. "Oh here, how about this? I saw this on an episode of a TV show! I didn't see how it ended, but I'm sure it worked out right. We'll divide this place in half." Steven takes out a marker and starts drawing a straight line on the floor of the barn. "You'll both have your own space. High ceilings, real wood floors, convenient location on the heart of the country; so what do you think, roomies?"

Peridot and Lapis stand opposite of one another on both sides of the line.

"Uh..." Y/n stammers unsure.

"I like the cut of your gem, Steven Quartz!" Peridot says.

"No! No way!" Lapis immediately says.

"What's the problem?" Peridot asks. "You're the one getting all the good stuff! You've got the propeller and paint cans on your side! You can do tons with those! Oooh, actually, I want the paint cans. You wanna trade something?"

Lapis glares at Peridot dismissively. "I don't care about paint cans. That's not the problem."

"Bah..." Peridot says.

"What's wrong, Lapis?" Steven asks.

"It's her." Lapis says pointing to Peridot.

"Egh?!" Peridot flinches in confusion.

"She's the problem. I can't stand the thought of looking at her everyday. She's the one who dragged me back to Earth!" Lapis says.

"Hey, it wasn't my idea! I was headed to Earth and I needed an informant! It should have been a simple mission. Things didn't exactly work out for either of us." Peridot tells her.

"You used me like everyone else did!" Lapis says as she gets angry.

"But it's not like that anymore! It's different now; I'm different!" Peridot says.

Steven walks next to Peridot. "It's true, Lapis! Peridot has really come into her own since she's been living on Earth."

Lapis looks to see Y/n nodding in agreement.

"I sabotaged my own mission! I helped save the Earth! I even yelled at Yellow Diamond! She's probably sending a whole fleet to find me and shatter me right now. I'm kind of a big deal, a big Anti-Homeworld deal!" Peridot declares.