TWENTY ONE.

tw—blood

IF I WAS USING MY POWER ON A LIVING BEING, I would feel their blood rush through their veins

IF I WAS USING MY POWER ON A LIVING BEING, I would feel their blood rush through their veins. But this man isn't living, technically.

Instead of the pulsating blood I would normally be feeling, it feels like controlling a frozen liquid and it takes every muscle in me to keep him still. But I do, because if I let him go he'll end up hurting one of the kings and the thought pushes me harder.

Muffled voices echo around the room but I have no clue what they're saying, all I can focus on is this mountain of a man.

My vision is starting to turn blurry as Felix pops the man's head off and I relax my muscles. My vision clears along with my ears.

Even without straining my body, I'm still uncomfortable. A throbbing headache ripples through my head and my body feels heavy.

Never have I felt like this after using my gift, I always feel indestructible, not horribly weak or like I could pass out while standing at any second.

I take a few harsh breaths in, trying to clear my head and wobbly legs. But it doesn't seem to help very much. I still feel drained of energy and the headache is only growling stronger.

"Sienna? You look kind of pale." Demetri whispers from beside me.

I chuckle, but it sounds dry, weak and humorless, "You're one to talk." I slide my eyes shut, "Is that dude dead?"

Demetri clears his throat, "Not entirely. They are preparing to, uh, cremate him."

I open my eyes and turn them towards him, keeping my head forward, "Just say you're about to burn him to a crisp. Cremating him sounds like you're gonna put him in a fancy box and place him on your mantle."

Demetri snorts, "Oh, okay. Felix just lit him on fire."

Suddenly, I smell a sickly sweet stench and swivel my eyes back, seeing purple smoke billowing from the man's decapitated body. The sent burns my throat when I inhale, making my stomach swirl with nausea.

The smell only makes my head hurt even worse and adds dizziness to my symptoms. "Demetri, can we leave, please?" I ask without breathing.

"Oh, yes. Would you like for me to tell the kings?"

"Yeah, thank you." I attempt to breathe through my mouth, but that just makes it worse. "Can I wait outside while you do it, though?"

Demetri nods and steps around me. I hurry out to the hallway as fast as my weak body can and spin around to shut the door so the purple smoke doesn't float out here, only to be reminded how heavy the door is.