TWENTY EIGHT.

"PREPARE FOR WHAT, EXACTLY?" I ASK CAIUS, NOT WORRIED ABOUT MY SYMPTOMS ANYMORE, MORE WORRIED ABOUT WHATS GOING ON

"A rather large coven has committed a heinous crime, one that we do not tolerate."

"What crime?" I don't know much about the Volturi laws, their do's and don'ts, but I know the basics; no exposing yourself to humans, a human exposed to a vampire must be turned or executed... and there's more that I know of, but I can't think of all of them right now.

"They have created an immortal child, one of our utmost important laws that must be dealt with as soon as possible."

"Oh, wow. And they knew of this law?"

Caius nods, "They did. Their leader resided with us for years, he definitely knows."

"But why do you need witnesses?" I know little about the vampire world and how the Volturi get things done, but I do know that most criminals come to the castle, or the elite guard travels to the criminal on rare occasions—just them, no audience from places worldwide.

"Because, if we don't, will others truly know that we served justice? Many like to make us seem like evil tyrants, but we're just protecting them—this helps us prove that to them, maybe not by much, but it helps." He explains, "We may also need a few fighters, I'd like to have them with us, just in case."

A pit forms in my stomach and I look down, ignoring my bloodstained shirt. I've grown close with a few members of the guard, and I worry deeply for them, I know they're powerful, but I feel anxious nonetheless.

Especially Alec, his gift is insanely strong, but he's little, shorter than every guard member, I know he's ancient compared to my age, but I see him as a little teenager. I fear for him most of all.

I desire to be with them, wherever that is, and protect my friends, my soulmates. "Caius, I want to go."

I see him tense up, "No." He doesn't even hesitate with his answer.

"Why not? If it were me, going to confront some criminals in a far away land, would you not want to be with me?" I look up at him, our eyes meeting.

He inhales deeply and his eyes turn calculating before he answers, "It's not the same."

I purse my lips at him, "How?"

Obviously, I know how, the differences are clear, I'm a human, they're vampires, blah blah... But I can't fight the urge, it nags at my brain annoyingly, sending images of Santiago, Alec, Heidi, and the kings being ripped apart. I shiver.