THIRTY SIX.

AFTER ROAMING THE HALLS FOR AT LEAST A HALF AN HOUR, I FIND THE ELEVATOR

I push the button that leads to the lowest level of the castle, the doors slide shut and the opera music fills the little space.

As the elevator descends, I grow antsy and begin to feel a little anxious. What will happen when the kings find out I've been down here? I didn't really think about the consequences before I spontaneously decided to do this.

But, really, what's the worst that could happen? They get a little angry? They can't blame me for being curious.

I do feel a tad guilty for completely doing exactly what they said not to do... but, if they were me, they'd probably do the same thing!

The elevator jolts to a stop and the doors slide open, I'm immediately hit with cold air and the smell of mildew. I rub my hands against my bare arms and step out of the elevator, feeling a sense of dread when I hear it ascend back up.

I look around, grasping my surroundings—the walls are stone, torches hang on them and water seeps from their cracks. A few feet away from me is a staircase, leading further underground. I slowly hedge towards it, my shoes scuff against the grimy floor as I do so.

I have to squint to really even see the stairs, so I cautiously place my foot on the first one, and then next until I'm confident enough that I can speed up.

When I reach the bottom of the stairs, it's almost completely dark, except for the two dimly lit torches, and the smell of mold burns my nose. Theres a large steel door and a guard stands in front of it, staring at me with a dumbfounded look.

Its a woman, with chopped blonde hair and vermilion eyes, she wears a light grey cloak and is obviously confused.

"Miss Sienna?" She speaks to me, and I'm surprised that she knows my name and who I am—though I guess most vampires who live here probably have to know who I am, so they don't try and eat me, I assume.

"Hello." I greet and shuffle closer towards her.

"I wasn't expecting a guest, certainly not you! Its an honor." She smiles at me and I feel compelled to smile back.

"I just wanted to check the dungeons out for a moment, I don't think I'll be too long." I tell her, hoping she'll let me through.

"Are the Masters aware of this? I do not want to do anything without their permission..."

"Oh, yes! They know. Of course they do." I lie right through my teeth.