FORTY THREE.

TWO MONTHS LATER

TWO MONTHS LATER.

SIENNA STARES AT HERSELF IN THE MIRROR OF HER BATHROOM, EYES ROAMING EVERY INCH OF HER BODY.

Bruises splatter across her skin, some green and some deep purple. Her muscles ache and her eyes have prominent bags under them. She hasn't trained like this for months, so jumping right back into has taken a toll on her.

She notices her muscles are more defined now, though, just like before she left for Volterra the first time.

With a sigh she runs her fingers through her wet hair and then gets dressed quickly. She woke up a little late and hardly had any time to get ready, but managed to at least take a shower.

She hurries out of her bathroom into her room and out in the hallway. She breezes through the hallways and downstairs into the basement/training room, where Shane awaits her arrival impatiently.

When she hurries into the training room, she sees him and slows to a stop. "You're late." Shane says, crossing his arms over his chest.

Sienna nods. "Sorry. I woke up late, sir."

"Ever since you've been back you've been careless—despite being here for months, pathetic." Shane says, narrowing his eyes at Sienna.

Sienna doesn't know what to say, so she just stays silent and nods her head in agreement.

"Before you begin your training for today, I want you to meet some people." A calculating smile appears on his lips. "Athenodora and Sulpicia."

Sienna raises her eyebrows at the names and her eyes widen when two women step out into the training room, obliviously vampires. They're dressed quite elegantly and stick out like a sore thumb inside the dark room.

Sienna finds the amount of vampires working with Shane odd—he did make it a big deal to hate them, yet here he is. Sienna would ask the man why he was working with them, but she knows better.

The women glide to a stop next to Shane, their red eyes burn into Siennas face with a heinous amount of scrutiny, Sienna shifts uncomfortably under their stares.

"The former queens of the Volturi." Shane says, making Sienna snap her eyes in his direction—she feels her heart drop at his words. Christopher told her that the former queens knew her name, they're the reason why Shane knew she was still alive and honestly, they scare her in a way; their sharp eyes hold nothing but hatred whenever she glances at them.

"Oh." Sienna reacts dryly, trying to keep her composure.

"Yes, how are our husbands, dear?" Athenodora asks  without a hint of kindness in her tone.