Chapter 8

Flashing lights. Loud sounds. Movement. What is going on? I am strapped down. I am sore. What happened? I was... wait! Gwen! Where's Gwen? AJ's eyes open quickly and he looks around in a panic.

"Sir? Sir, can you tell me your name?" An EMT stops the stretcher for a moment and looks at AJ.

"AJ. AJ Pink-Pinkerton."

"Okay, AJ, who is the woman that is with you?"

"My wife. Gwen. Gwen Pinkerton. Where is she? Is she okay?"

"Sir, please remain calm. Do you know what happened?"

"We were going home, and we— we got hit? Oh no, they hit her side! Where is she? Gwen! Gwen!"

"Sir, please try to remain calm. The others are getting her out of the car and will be taking her to the hospital in another ambulance."

"Is— is she—" he couldn't bring himself to ask the dreaded question.

"She's still with us. She's unconscious, and banged up, but she's still here."

AJ breathed a sigh of relief that she was still alive, but they weren't out of the woods just yet. "The other driver?" AJ asked.

"He's fine. Only a nosebleed from his airbag deploying."

They loaded him into the ambulance and got his vitals. Overall he seemed uninjured barring some cuts and bruising, but they were taking him to be checked out anyway.

AJ couldn't stop thinking about Gwen, praying she would be alright. They had been through too much together, it won't end like this!

AJ asks for a phone to call Kevin to let them know what happened. Kevin told AJ they would meet them at the hospital, that way they didn't have to be alone.

Gwen was still getting loaded into the other ambulance when AJ's left. She still hadn't regained consciousness yet.

AJ was wheeled into the ER. He got taken into triage where he was checked over. With only a few bruises and cuts, he was patched up and released. He stopped at the nurses station to inquire about Gwen. They didn't have any information about her yet, so he went back to meet Kevin and Katie in the waiting room.

"They don't know anything yet. We were hit on her side... what if—" He cut himself off.

"Don't talk like that. Gwen is strong, she'll be okay." Katie said, touching AJ's shoulder.

AJ drew a shaky breath. "I just want her to be okay. She has to be okay!" A tears escaped his eye.

Katie looked over at Kevin. "You have to have faith she will be okay. Don't let your faith waver now."

"Please let her be alright!" AJ said to no one in particular.

"Family of Gwen Pinkerton?" A nurse stands off to the side. AJ rushes over.

"I'm her husband, AJ. Is she okay? What's going on? Where is she?"

"All your questions will be answered. Please come with me to her room." AJ looked at Kevin.

"Don't worry, we'll be right here. Just go to her." Kevin looked at Katie and she nodded.

"Right this way please." AJ followed the nurse back to her room.

AJ opened the door. "Oh, Gwen..." He whispered.