Chapter 18

"So, I was able to use the Imagery Rehearsal to get out of the dream. I focused on what I knew to be true to keep me grounded into actual reality." Gwen recounted the dream and how she brought herself out of it.

"That's great to hear! You may be still having nightmares, but you're learning to work through them and focus on reality rather than your dream." Katie was truly happy for her friend. "Maybe they'll lessen now if they're not so much of a threat."

"Maybe..." Gwen was doubtful they would lessen anytime soon.

"The important thing is for you to know how to re-write your dreams and be able to get out of them so even if you do have a nightmare, you will be able to escape. I know how much of a struggle you've been having." AJ, running his hand along her back, was proud of his wife for being able to escape the horrors in her mind.

"Oh, we'd better get going. I have a follow up appointment to get these stitches removed and for them to check over my arm." Gwen said, looking at the time.

"Right." AJ stood, getting the keys and walking hand in hand to the door with Gwen.

"Have fun you two. Don't forget, Kevin and I won't be here for lunch or dinner tonight. We're working on a big project right now."

Gwen looked back at her friend and smiled. "Good luck you guys! I'm sure it will go fine."

"Thanks!" Katie cleared away her dishes as Gwen and AJ left.

Once at the doctor's office, Gwen had her stitches removed. The doctor also looked over her arm and advised she'd have about 4 more weeks in the cast, then her arm should be good as new.

They got back home to a quiet house. On the couch, AJ kept looking up at Gwen while she read and he laid down on her lap.

"You know, I can feel you staring at me." Gwen smirked.

"I'm just marveling at your beauty." AJ sat up.

Gwen blushed and rolled her eyes. "Please, I'm—" AJ cut her off with a kiss.

"You don't know how beautiful you are to me, or how much I admire your strength. You have gone through so much that would have broken others by now, and you're still here, still beside me." He stroked the side of her face. She leaned into his hand and kissed it.

"Thank you. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I love you." She kissed him.

"I love you too. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else either." He pulled her into him, snuggling on the couch, holding her and just reveling in the moment. He closed his eyes as she started reading again.

Gwen's stomach started growling. AJ chuckled. "Maybe we should talk about lunch."

Gwen laughed. "Possibly."

They had their lunch and sat back on the couch as they had been- AJ holding Gwen as she leaned into him reading. AJ had fallen asleep. Gwen's book slowly dipped down as her eyes closed and she joined him in slumber.