Chapter 45

They were finally going home. Granted, it was just to do a walk-through and see what colors they may want to use or what changes they may want to make.

Walking in the front door, Gwen tensed up. She kept trying not to think about it, but the last time they went through that door, they were fleeing for their lives and became murderers. Yes, it was self defense, but it's still hard to not see herself like that. AJ felt her tense, and took her hand, squeezing it reassuringly. He glanced over at her and saw tears at the brims of her eyes. "Can you give us a minute please?" He asked the landlord. She went further into the house, and AJ turned to Gwen and embraced her. "Hey, it's okay, it's okay." He rubbed her back. She closed her eyes and let the tears fall.

"I just— I keep seeing us running for our lives and killing them." She took a shaky breath. "I can't get it out of my head!" She gripped into AJ even tighter.

"It's okay Baby. I'm right here. I know. I know." He did all he could by holding her and stroking her back. He kissed her head. "Do you want to see if she maybe has another place we can rent instead?"

Gwen sniffled and shrugged. "I know how much we love this place."

"Honey, I love you more. If it means moving, then so be it. I am looking out for your well-being. Let me see if she has any other places available."

"Wait. No. Let me see if I can look around first. Maybe it was just the initial shock. Let me try. Please." She took a deep breath. She looked to her left in the den. The bookshelves were gone, along with all her books. The desk was replaced, along with the computer chair. Her sewing machine had been replaced as well. They kept walking in and looked to the right. The dining room table had been replaced, along with its seating. They caught up with the landlord at this point. The living room, which now has an open floor plan and connected to the dining room, looked baron. The couch had been replaced, but the computer desk had not been. The TV and their video game systems had all been destroyed. To the left, their kitchen had all new appliances. Beside the kitchen was the stairs. AJ looked at Gwen and she nodded. They headed upstairs. All of their decorations had been destroyed, so it looked very empty up here. Over to the right was their bedroom, which had a king size bed and a dresser. It wasn't the set they picked out when they got married. It felt like a punch to the gut to not see their bed. They went to the next bedroom and it was set up with a spare single bed and dresser. The other two bedrooms they had used as offices were empty. The landlord had been talking all during their walkthrough, but Gwen was not listening to a single word. Gwen looked at AJ. He could read her mood in her eyes.

"Let's—" he cleared his throat," Let's go back downstairs, I would like to see the garage and talk with my wife too please."

They came back downstairs and checked over the garage, which didn't have much damage, and the landlord stepped outside. "Honey, are you okay?"

"I just— I didn't realize how much would be gone. All my books, the computers, the game systems, the tv..." She drifted off in thought. "The offices were completely empty. We just have lost so much. All the decorations- our wedding pictures, our vacation pictures, those albums are gone. The pictures on the walls and tabletops are gone." Tears rolled down her cheeks. "Can I take some time to think about it, if I'll be able to go back into this house, and call it our home, safely?"

AJ embraced her. "Of course. I know this isn't easy. But I'm right here with you. All those are just material things. All our memories are still here." He gestures to her heart. "No matter what happens, we still have each other." He leaned his forehead on hers. "Just remember— I'm always going to be here with you and for you. I love you."

"I love you." She leaned up and kissed him. AJ went to talk to the landlord while Gwen looked around a little more. Maybe it won't be so bad starting anew here. AJ is right- the memories are still all here. We can always print more pictures. The memories will live on.