Bet

This is inspired by 1999's She's All That - which I just watched for the first time purely because Elden (Fulton) is a side character/main character's best friend.

"Y/N, wait!" Luis calls out as I run away with tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry! Please let me explain!"

I ignore him and sprint away as fast as I possibly can. Stumbling through my front door, I'm glad that nobody else is home. As I finally come to a halt, tears are streaming down my face and I'm struggling to catch my breath. I wouldn't mind curling up into a ball and dying right about now. I should've known better. After 10 minutes of sobbing on the floor whilst thinking about the past 3 months, I finally manage to stand up and make a call.

"Hello?"

"Fult, are you busy?" I sniffle.

"Not really. Are you okay?" I don't reply as I'm occupied with trying not to cry again. "Y/N?"

"Can I come over?"

"Yeah, of course. Do-" I cut him off by hanging up as soon I as I have confirmation.

I grab my jacket and quickly leave the house, sneaking through a couple of back alleys to reach Fulton's house. He's never opened the door faster than right now.

Upon opening the door, I throw myself at him immediately - sobbing into his band shirt. Fulton briskly shuts the door and instinctively wraps his arms around me. After standing here for a moment, Fulton ushers me over to the couch and asks what is happening.

"I'm quitting the team. I-I'm quitting hockey and f-f-fleeing the country. I don't know." I stammer as I start to become hysterical again.

"What? Okay, you need to take some deep breaths and calm down because you're clearly not thinking straight." He's shocked, having been my close friend since birth. "You can't quit."

"Well, I am." I fire back as I try to calm down.

"You're one of our best players. Besides, your best friends are on the team. Your boyfriend is on the boyfriend." He attempts to remind me of what I'd be leaving.

"Boyfriend?" I scoff. "Yeah, totally."

"What? Why are you laughing and crying? What happened?" He almost interrogates me as he thinks he knows what might have happened - he doesn't.

"I was a bet, Fulton."

"What do you mean you were a bet?"

"I was a goddamn bet! Luis made a bet with Charlie - he never cared!" I snap slightly.

"What the hell? What was the bet?" Fulton looks confused, crushed and a little angry.

"You know how Mindy dumped him a few months ago?"

"Yeah..."

"There was the whole joke about Luis having a shitty rebound relationship to try and maintain that sudden spike in popularity." I give him a small reminder of backstory. "Charlie bet him that he couldn't make me fall in love with him by the end of term."

"That's so fucked." Fulton gives a look of disgust.

"Now, Fulton, you've known me since day 1 because our parents are friends. You know more about me than anyone in the entire world - including myself sometimes. But it's common knowledge that it's pretty hard for me to fall for someone - and it's practically impossible for anyone to even remotely like me."

"Well, that last part isn't necessarily true but go on." Fulton interjects as he watches me pace around his living room.

"So, why would our friends do something like this to me?