Polar Opposites

My name is Y/N Portman - younger sister of Dean Portman. When I say younger, I mean literally 13 minutes - but that doesn't stop him from treating me like a baby sometimes. He's also quite protective - but I can easily hold my own, I am a Portman after all. And don't be surprised if he tells you that those 13 minutes were the best of his life.

When we were scouted for the USA hockey team, they knew it was gonna be a double act. I'm easily the better goal scorer. However, as much as I hate to admit it, my brother plays a big role in it. Not necessarily because he gets assists (though it does happen sometimes). Dean is a goon. An enforcer. He's basically my personal bodyguard out there. He knocks people out of my way to give me a clear path.

We both get plenty of penalty time. I blame it on the Portman family rage and attitude problems - but also idiot refs.

At first, I couldn't stand this new team. Literally right after the demonstrations, there was a scrum. We didn't even know them but I wasn't afraid to defend myself. I consider them friends now. Fulton is my ride or die. And while I tolerate the couple of clowns on the team, there's still one guy who drives me insane. That damn cowboy!

Dwayne is like a ray of sunshine 24/7. It's getting increasingly more annoying. Plus I don't even understand what he's saying half the time - some farm nonsense from what I can gather. He's just painfully nice all the time. Don't get me wrong, he's a good guy who has clearly been raised right, but it doesn't end. I don't think I've ever seen any other emotion from him. It's like he's a robot that was designed to be overbearingly sweet at all times. It's getting kind of exhausting - I don't know how he does it.

For the sake of teamwork and my own sanity, I'm trying to be nicer to him and actually get along with him - but it's not easy for me. My life as a Portman has been far from a bed of roses - I've had to fight for survival in and off the ice since I knew how to walk. I'm not used to being treated the way Dwayne does. It's unnatural. Yeah, the whole team has respect and kindness, but it's not constant - I have some room to breathe. I'm trying though.

Despite my best efforts, my words with him are still harsh. It gets too much and I can't control myself. I feel bad but I can never bring myself to apologise. No matter what I do, he continues to act like a gentleman. I don't get it. And even though I'm trying to be better, I feel like I've only been getting worse. I just get overwhelmed and snap so quickly - it doesn't matter if it's just a throwaway comment. Sometimes all he has to do is smile at me and I don't know what to do.

After practice, the team split up into mostly unplanned groups. Surprisingly, Dean decided to go somewhere without Fulton. Instead, Fult stayed with me because I want food. We've got a few other people with us - including the cowboy. Just my luck. After practically inhaling my quesadilla and gulping down some Dr Pepper, I briefly leave the group to get a couple more cans. I then rush to catch up with them as they walk away.

"You got 2?" Connie question, clearly confused.

"Yeah, one's for Dean." That's an absolute lie.

"You know, you really should drink some water instead of soda for once." Dwayne pipes up and ruffles my feathers.

"You should mind your damn business! I'll drink whatever the hell I want!" I snap and continue walking.

"Sorry." He sounds regretful. Great, I've done it again.

"Come on, he's just looking out for you." Fulton quietly reasons now that we're slightly more distanced from the others.

"Whatever, man." I mumble in a huff.

Cut to the next game...

In the midst of an epic tournament for a gold medal and bragging rights, it's still anyone's game - despite some early favourites popping up. Today's match-up sees team USA battle against team Canada.