Unexpected

Y/N isn't the best or worst player on the Ducks - though she's still an important and dangerous factor on the ice (not to mention a fan favourite thanks to her sweet nature). She spends her ice time floating between the second and third lines to fit new dynamics (though it is often a source of wavering self-confidence). More than most, she relies on the Bash Brothers to come to her aid when she's targeted due to her character and spot in the roster. This has become common knowledge amongst other locker rooms.

Today's game is one that the Ducks have been anticipating. They must face a tough team with a goon more vile than Portman ever was. Jamie Jenkinsson. Shenanigans are fully expected. Before the game even begins, his booming and grating voice can be heard hurling insults and offensive comments at the Ducks bench. Shaking off the wall of noise, our protagonists get their heads in the game.

Period 1...

The first period begins like any other game between the rivals. Bodies crash into the boards, and chirps fly as the teams form scrums after every whistle. This is an every game occurrence between these teams, and it certainly draws in a crowd. With their history, they know how to get under each other's skin - and the villainous Swedish goon has picked his primary target for today's battle.

"Hey, Y/N!" Jenkinsson calls out as the whistle blows in the Duck's end. "How much are you paying these losers to be your friends? No way they'd hang out with you for free!" He cackles.

"Go back to IKEA!" Fulton shoves him with a look of disgust.

"Choke on my meatballs!" Portman pushes him harder before a ref breaks them up.

"Add that to the list of things I never want to hear come out of Portman's mouth." Julie rolls her eyes in conversation with the bench before skating by Y/N on the way back to her crease. "Don't listen to that moron. We love you."

The Swede's words cut deep in Y/N's soul. Since joining the Ducks friend group and well established roster after everyone else, she's struggled somewhat mentally. Deep down, she knows she's valued on and off the ice and that they do, in fact, love her - but sometimes she can't help but feel like she never belonged there in the first place. Despite knowing the lack of validity in Jenkinsson's statement, it still manages to zap some life out of her.

Y/N pushes past the stinging sensation in her eyes and burning in her nose as she gets in position for the face-off. Attempting to get her head back in the game, Y/N looks up to find a smirking Jenkinsson on the other side of the face-off dot, squandering her efforts. Revelling in the victory of his mind games, Jenkinsson wins the draw with 34 seconds left in the period.

Period 2...

Y/N spent most of the intermission zoned out in her own head. Orion pulled her to the side for a quick chat to bring her mind back to the game. Ultimately, it was the Bash Brothers' promise to tear Jenkinsson limb from limb that grounded her a little bit.

As the horn signals the start of the period, a handful of the Ducks glare at Jenkinsson. However, he sees it as confirmation that he's in their heads and crawling in their skin. Within the first few minutes of the frame, both teams pick up the heavy hitting. Pucks aren't the only thing flying anymore.

With a goal from Dwayne, Y/N gets her first point of the game. Unfortunately, it only takes 73 seconds for Jenkinsson's teammate to tie up the scoreboard.

Tensions run high as the Swedish enforcer hones in on the Ducks sweetheart. Despite her not having the puck for a solid 5 seconds, Jenkinsson charges forward and sends Y/N flying into the boards, getting some airtime before tumbling to the ice below. Everyone on the ice flocks around them, roughing anyone they can get their hands on. Still on the floor, Y/N throws her arms up to protect her head. It's as if they forgot that she's still down in the middle of it all.