21 Questions

I had this idea when I was listening to 21 Questions by Waterparks back in November. We're just gonna pretend it was created in universe....

The last 3 months have been a rollercoaster. At the highs, I formed a band with my fellow Bash Brigade members Fulton, Dean and Kenny. The lows came from a tough breakup with our captain Charlie and the ensuing aftermath. What do musicians do in the wake of a terminated relationship? They write a song.

In the short months since becoming a band, we've proven that we work well together both on the ice and in the music room. We've gotten more confident, though we've only played in front of the Ducks and the other people in our class. It's refreshing to see a teacher who doesn't find Portman totally irritating. She actually admires his passion for the subject despite differing tastes. After all, it's the only part of school he likes besides hockey.

With the Eden Hall spring show coming up, our music teacher asked if the Bash Brigade would be the main act - even though we'd only have 3 songs. It was a controversial decision by the preppy snob standards but her faith in us sealed the deal. I love that woman. Since then, we've spent all our time on music and hockey. Portman has clearly never been happier.

Having a 3 song setlist to our name, we had to make some crucial decisions. What do we play? Well, we weren't too sure for a while. A multitude of potential options were thrown out there. However, we knew we had to perform Ballroom Blitz in the style of Wayne's World but with the original version's intro dialogue. This was an idea we have the same night Dean convinced us to be a band. Not playing it would be a missed opportunity.

A couple of weeks after the show's announcement, we were approached with a request. Turns out that a group of staff remained skeptical about our involvement in the show - especially having more stage time than anyone else. All because we like better music than them. We came to a compromise to appease them but keep out pop punk/punk rock sound. To open the show, I'll be channeling Joan Jett as we perform I Love Rock 'n' Roll. It's a simple classic that everyone knows.

With 2/3 songs decided on, we couldn't figure out a final choice. Considering we already knew a handful of other songs, we practiced a few of them with the intention of deciding later on. It was at this time that Charlie dumped me like trash.

He seemed irritable and jealous. It wasn't long until he was all about Linda. We started becoming more and more distant. Even though we started out as best friends as 3 year old and continued being teammates, it's like I became a stranger. Conversations became few and far between - only happening if Charlie deemed it necessary in a game. On top of that, he'd barely ever look at me. It felt like the world was ending. I lost one of my best friends and I still can't figure what I did.

I didn't want to play hockey and my enthusiasm for the band disappeared. At the same time, I felt guilty for dragging them down when the show was clear in our minds. Miss Spence (our music teacher) assured me that I'd be okay and I shouldn't feel guilty because there's plenty of time to heal before the show and the guys are here for me. They proved that. I was zoned out on the spare bed in Ken's dorm room after another gruelling practice. The guys were talking but I could barely hear them over my own thoughts. Eventually, they got through to me and got me back on track whilst protecting me from myself and Charlie. Dean also convinced me that writing a song might help emotionally. It sounded kinda stupid but he knows music better than anyone we know. The song itself isn't exactly our sound, but it doesn't stray too far from it - you've got to have some slower songs in your discography.

With mere minutes left until we take the stage to end the show, we still haven't settled on our final song (though we've planned for it to be the second in our set). The loose plan is to play the song I wrote about Charlie. However, I'm not 100% sure if I'm comfortable with performing an original song to the whole school, especially with it being our first performance. Trust me to leave it to the last second.