Second Try

"What are you saying?" Anger, confusion and despair washed over Charlie's face at the core of the hard-hitting conversation.

"I just don't think it's gonna work, Charlie." I tried to remain level-headed as my heart continued to break.

"Why wouldn't it work?" He questioned as he paced in front of the steps I sat on. "It's us! It's you and me! Charlie and Y/N! Why wouldn't it work?" His voice cracked at the repetition of his first question.

"Because, Charlie, you're joining the NHL - and I couldn't be more proud if I tried. But I have to think about college. You'll be so busy with hockey and I'll be swamped with assignments that we'll never have time to call. Long distance isn't even much of an option."

"But we've been apart before." He scrambled to find any hope.

"For a week when I went on vacation. We're talking about 4 years here, Charlie. It's not like I'll have a bunch of money to fly home after a semester."

"Then I'll fly to you, Y/N! I won't have a huge contract but I'll have enough." He pleaded for a solution.

"You won't have the time. Even in the off-season, we're not little kids anymore. We have responsibilities now."

"You're just trying to get rid of me, aren't you? You want to leave me like everyone else!" Anger became his main emotion as he pinned the blame on me.

"What?" My eyes widen, stunned he would suggest such a thing. "Of course I'm not, Charlie! How could you even say that?"

"Because you keep shooting me down!"

"You think this is fun for me? It's killing me, Charlie! I just don't want to live off false hope for the next few years. I'm trying to make it easier by just ending it now." But it was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do.

"You know what?" Pure rage glazed over his eyes. "Just go! Get out of here! I don't need you!"

"Charlie..." My voice was lower than it had been throughout the entire conflict as my heart was completely shattered and laced with guilt for even bringing up the topic.

"Go!" His booming voice rocked me to my core as he refused to look at me. I hesitated but ultimately walked away with tears in my eyes. Though I looked back, all Charlie did was kick some boxes down the alley.

That was the last time we spoke. And although some would say it's justifiable to never want to see him again, I couldn't keep myself away from the game and supporting the person I invested so many years in loving.

In the few months before I moved away for college, I went to as many of Charlie's games as I could. I knew I'd regret it if I didn't at least show up for the start of his career. However, I never spoke to him or went to congratulate the team like I normally would. I carried the pain and guilt of destroying what we spent years building. Sometimes just being there caused enough hurt. Even when I moved away to start the next chapter, part of me was always stuck in the past. Day in and day out, I would replay the scenario in my head - questioning if I did the right thing and what I would do differently if I ever got the chance.

It's been 5 years since that moment happened. In the time that's passed, I've graduate from my journalism course - specialising in sports journalism. Hockey has always been a huge part of my life (I was part of the original roster that led to the creation of an NHL team after all) so I knew from the begin that I wanted to work in the NHL in some form of journalist position. Finally, that dream is coming true.

With my hockey history known to some in the industry, I was offered positions in a few organisations. Only one felt right. I accepted the offer with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks because it felt like I'd be going home. I had accepted and told most of the old team before it crossed my mind (thanks to Fulton) that I would have to face my demons. Charlie became the captain of the NHL Ducks at 19 and still holds the title. With my position, there's a good chance we'd be interacting at one point or another.