Guilty Pleasure

As a young Duck, Connie was always considered to be the team princess. However, I became the Bash Brigade's princess. Although I leaned more towards the enforcer type, I always had the Bash Brothers by my side to protect me. I was their main priority on and off the ice. Everywhere I went, they'd follow. We were inseparable - and that hasn't changed.

We went to the same college and always found ways to do what we want whilst staying together. In the current day, we have a house together (and yes, it's as chaotic as you think). I don't think they've spent more than and hour apart since Portman came to Eden Hall. Fulton and Portman even work together as part of a local construction crew. However, I work at the old hockey store Hans used to run - I actually own it. Connie and Guy's kids are among the store regulars - and are without a doubt my favourite customers. I have 2 kids - their names are Dean and Fulton.

Since I own the store, I decide on the opening times and the single day it's closed. I run the store by myself - though some think I should get at least 1 other person to help out. Today is my day off and I want to mess with the guys. My simple plan was preconceived. I do have to do some stuff throughout the day beforehand. Averman has agreed to cover for me. Before leaving for work this morning, I informed Fulton (with Dean loitering in the background) that I'd be at Averman's place when they got home. They took the bait and left like normal.

Throughout the day, I talked to whoever would answer in our team group chat - I ended up just calling Jesse for a couple hours. With plans to watch Coach Conway's Ducks play the Lightning tonight, I stopped by an array of stores to pick up game snacks and supplies for dinner. It's become a regular part of the week for me to make dinner on my day off for when they get home. Me warning Fult of my absence served as another way to throw them off the scent since there wouldn't be food when they got back.

As the credits roll on Idle Hands, I check the time and notice the boys are minutes away from returning. In case they've forgotten, I send a text to the house group chat reading:

'At Averman's. I'll make dinner when I get back. Also, I got snacks for the game, don't worry.'

'Awesome! How long you gonna be?'

'30-40 minutes? We're watching a movie.'

'See you soon.'

Once I receive a reply from Fulton, I clear my things as if I was never here. Everything now cleared, I head up to their room (because even as grown men, they insist on sharing a room and have even been considering bunk beds) and hide in their large closet. I probably could wait a little longer before trapping myself, but I'd rather not rush when they appear.

After about 10 minutes of being cramped in this confined area, I hear Fulton and Dean outside through their open window. Though I can't make out what they're saying, I prepare myself for the scare. As I hear the door almost slam shut, their voices get louder - though I still can't understand them as my shelter makes their words incoherent.

Muffled conversation gets louder as they make their way up the stairs. The bedroom door creaks open as anticipation reaches a high. Leaning forward, I peer through the crack in the closet door and prepare to pounce. However, I quickly realise that their high volume wasn't from a funny conversation, but a sing along. In an unexpected twist, I recognise the lyrics. Are they from a Sum 41 song or something? Nope. The big and tough Bash Brothers are singing the chorus to Love Story by Taylor Swift.

Stunned, I silently watch on in shock. I want to scare them, but I also want to live this moment out forever. As they somehow manage to flawlessly transition in Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA, I get an idea for how to preserve this truly amazing and frankly life changing moment for the rest of time.