fourteen

When the film was off it was around 8 and she was absolutely passed out, she ate half of her pizza which we all agreed was the best looking of the three.

I put her in my bed and went back to the living room where Charles was sat already looking at me as I came in.

"Was this kind of like our first date?" I asked him sitting down next to him.

Pulling me closer so my head was on his chest and we were under a blanket "I don't know, I enjoyed myself a lot though."

"You're really good with her, it's very cute." I admitted to him "You think so?" He asked me.

"Oh yeah she loves you, Charlie."

"I try." He said tiredly.

"Are you going back to your room tonight?" I asked him as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"I can't leave you on the sofa on your own. If you're okay with me staying that is." He checked and I nodded graciously.

"Max and Kelly didn't seem too surprised today."

"Thought he was going to knock me out. Bringing out the mad max days again, I don't have fond memories of childhood with him." Charles laughed to me.

"I mean, I didn't exactly hear good things about you from him growing up." I admitted and he laughed back.

"I think I thought about you quite a lot growing up, you were kind of mysterious. I remember you being at the races but other than that I never saw you." He replied looking down at me as he sat to face me.

"I didn't really leave the house, wasn't really allowed to especially after my mother passed." I explained and he looked at me confused.

"I think I grew up in a house that threatened to crack beneath my feet." I tried to make sense to him but now he was even more confused.

"I was just carefully creeping around, If I made a sound when dad was drunk hell was evoked. I don't really know when it started, just that I was a child and my first steps were practically on egg shells."

Charles let out a breathe "I remember when your dad would leave Max at the races he didn't win despite a good performance and you would always stand up for your brother and shout at your dad."

I nodded, I remembered those days all the time "If max didn't win we weren't often fed so it definitely plays a major part in why he's so good at racing now because he was so heavily relied on growing up."

Charles was saddened by this "I didn't- I didn't know that about you guys. I heard like whispers from the other drivers that social services were constantly around."

"12 times before I was 11." I nodded, that was always a statistic I remembered.

Hearing that he pulled my hands out from under the blanket and held them in his.

"It was worse when my mother passed and Max had left, he didn't hit me often but he would say horrible things. I'd rather someone break my bones because they heal, the mental torment stays longer." I confessed to him, the poor guy.

I've been with Charles for what not even 24hrs and I'm disclosing all this trauma on him, fucking hell melody.

"I'm so sorry melody, if I ever seen that man again I swear to god I'm going to kill him." Charles was angry, he appeared calm but his words were said with hurt behind them.

I shook my head "It sounds stupid but in some ways it's made me successful. All of my songs are kind of inspired by life events so my first two albums are all inspired by him and they pay my bills."

"So the one you wrote today, who's that inspired by?" Charles asked but he already knew.

"You. It sounds sappy, but I don't care because this," I pointed between us "This is all I've ever wanted."

He kissed me again, much more gently this time but my skin was tingling and my heart was absolutely racing.

"I really like Melody."

"I really like you too Charles."