thirty

"How was your lunch?" I asked him as he pulled us both on to the sofa.

"It was nice, I haven't had a good conversation with him in a while. He was asking about you actually." Charles told me and I nodded.

"He was telling me about the crash and you had asked him if he could drive you over to me and he could see how much you loved me." Charles uttered on.

"Aw that's sweet."

"Yeah, so what's been happening with you? How's Isa?" He asked me rubbing his hands up my cold arms.

"Yeah no they're all good. Isa wants to go on holiday once the season is over, she wants us to go too." I told him truthfully.

"Reckon you'll be able to fly by then?" He asked me and then I began thinking, since I'm no longer doing all the meds surely I'm allowed to fly this weekend?

"The um the doctor called me whilst you were out with the blood test results from yesterday." I told him and he nodded along.

"Good or bad news?" He asked.

"So I have a disease called hyperthyroidism." I explained and he nodded.

"Right." He said listening intently.

"Yeah so Treatment for an underactive thyroid involves taking daily hormone replacement tablets, called levothyroxine, to raise your thyroxine levels, I think are that's what it's called I'll initially have regular blood tests until the correct dose of levothyroxine is reached. This can take a little while to get right Once im taking the correct dose, you would usually have a blood test once a year to monitor your hormone levels,um you usually need treatment for the rest of your life. However, with proper treatment, I should be able to lead a normal, healthy life." I explained to him trying to be as accurate as possible with what the doctor has said to me.

"Okay so you'll be okay?" He asked me and I nodded to him.

"I think so, we can go and pick up the prescription in five minutes." I told him and he nodded.

"Great. That's good do you feel happy that you know what's happening now?" He asked me.

"I don't know, she said I have to do more check ups and stuff because having hyperthyroidism isn't something that people get from being physically harmed and I've only had these symptoms since then." I told him truthfully as he gave me a comforting hug.

"Okay well maybe it's something you've always had but being knocked around made your symptoms worse?" He suggested; I wasn't sure that was how it worked but I went along with it.

Once we arrived at the doctors we spotted my doctor instantly who pulled us into a room "Melody, Charles nice to see you in person."

"Yeah you too." Charles replied kindly.

"So melody, when prescribed levothyroxine, you should take it at the same time every day. It's usually recommended that you take your tablet (or tablets) in the morning, although some people prefer to take them at night." She began and I just nodded.

"The effectiveness of the tablets can be altered by other medicines, supplements or foods, so they should be swallowed with water on an empty stomach, and you should avoid eating for 30 minutes afterwards." She told me and I was making mental notes and praying Charles was listening.

"Thankfully as you're prescribed levothyroxine because you have an underactive thyroid, you're entitled to a medical exemption certificate. This means you do not have to pay for your prescriptions." She told us and I just nodded along, I wouldn't have cared if I did have to pay or not and I'm pretty sure Charles wouldn't have cared either.

Charles then piped up "Does it have any side effects?"

"Levothyroxine does not usually have any side effects, because the tablets simply replace a missing hormone. Side effects usually only occur if you're taking too much levothyroxine. This can cause problems including sweating, chest pain, headaches, diarrhoea and being sick. If any of that happens please let me know." She smiled whilst grabbing the prescription bag and labelling it correctly.

"Melody has anyone in your family had a history of thyroid cancer? If there's a significant risk of it I would also suggest combination therapy." She calmly spoke.

"No I don't think that there is anyone who's had thyroid cancer." I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"Okay so I've told you about the complications that can occur correct?" She asked me and I nodded.

"Yeah um Charles wasn't present at the time though so if you want to repeat them again go nuts-

"Alright! If you have an untreated underactive thyroid, your risk of developing cardiovascular disease is increased. A goitre can also form this is an abnormal swelling of the thyroid gland that causes a lump to form in the throat. Goitres can develop in people with an underactive thyroid when the body tries to stimulate the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormones. In very rare cases, a severe underactive thyroid may lead to a life-threatening condition called myxoedema coma. This is where the thyroid hormone levels become very low, causing symptoms such as confusion, hypothermia and drowsiness and vomiting." She continued.

I was joking

I looked up at Charles who's face was slightly pale yet he wrapped a reassuring arm around my body and kissed my forehead lightly.

"I know I'm stressing you both out right now,
these problems can usually be avoided with treatment. You'll be okay melody." She said passing me the bag and we just nodded in silence as we got up to leave the building.